Is it OK to delete Windows temporary files?

The Belarussian Mafia 17:34 03 Dec 03

When I do an antivirus check on the whole hard disk it is noticeable that there are some wierd-sounding large temporary folders/files. Is it OK to find and delete these? I have a hunch that one or two of them store all e-mail records and attachments (outlook express), so I'd need to preserve these folders.

I'm not quite sure what the rest consist of, as I periodically delete internet clutter using Norton disk cleanup. Are the folders perhaps connected with the opening of zipped files or some kind of temporary info stored during game-play, etc?

Any experts out there who know about this kind of thing? If there is a lot of useless clutter in these files, it has been accumulating for over four years, so it would be nice to get rid of it.

Related question: I once saw someone delete all the names of websites that automatically pop up when you start to type a web address. How do you do that - or more to the point - is there somewhere in Windows you can actually view all the websites you've visited? (It might be interesting to see some long-forgotten sites listed.)

Diodorus Siculus 17:43 03 Dec 03

Have a look at emptytempfolders from click here for your first query - generally, anything in temporary folders can be emptied it they are a day old or so - or at least older than the last reboot.

2nd query: have a look at tools, internet options, content, autopcomplete.

The typed URLs are stored in the registry, but I can't remember where - under a key called typedurls or the like.

The Belarussian Mafia 18:01 03 Dec 03

Thanks Dio. Unfortunately the link you mentioned appears to be temporarily unavailable. The second piece of advice appears to relate to XP. I am still running '98, and all I can find under Control Panel Internet Options is "Delete History" - perhaps there is no viewing option in '98?

Diodorus Siculus 18:13 03 Dec 03

I think the advice I gave in the second part is based on IE6 (I don't use XP any more). I don't think that they can be viewed there though - only deleted. To see them, you need to look in the registry I think.

click here for emptytempfolders.

Diodorus Siculus 18:15 03 Dec 03

typed urls are here:

HKEY_USERS/Default/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/TypedURLs/

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/TypedURLs/

Just be careful! Don't change or delete anything unless you are sure what you are doing. Dobra!

accord 18:51 03 Dec 03

click here

works fine for me

The Belarussian Mafia 19:54 03 Dec 03

Thanks for all the advice.

The freeware looks like just what I was looking for. I just don't understand why Windows (or even Norton Cleanup) don't do this!

I won't be doing anything in the registry as I don't know anything about it.

Dio: a vy chto - polyak?

Diodorus Siculus 20:10 03 Dec 03

a vy chto - polyak? - Only know the one word, and thought it was Belarussian for OK!

The Belarussian Mafia 20:26 03 Dec 03

Nice one. I only asked (in Russian) whether you were perhaps Polish (very few people actually know Belarussian, but the language is partly mutually intelligeable with Polish).

Thanks again. Sheera djyakooyoo (=thanks very much in Bel.) A nice party-piece for you.

R4 20:27 03 Dec 03

The history is held in a 'History' folder in the windows directory.

Home IE Explorer has a show history tab that will show all sites visited within the last few weeks/months depending on the allocated space for the history file

The Belarussian Mafia 08:44 04 Dec 03

Thanks R4

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…