is it my graphics card or monitor

karl1483 19:38 09 Jan 05

i have a ati radeon 9250 128mb agp graphics card, not that old(4 months).recently the screen on my 15" belinea tft monitor seems to be doing strange things. what i am getting is blue and yellow horizontal lines aprox 1mm in length going across my screen to varying lengths and progresivley getting worse and longer untill my screen is virtually covered.when i refresh the screen everything is ok for a few mins but then it starts again.only seems to happen after pc been on for a while(i hour or so) have updated drivers.any clues

Totally-braindead 19:44 09 Jan 05

I don't suppose you can either try your monitor with someone elses computer or try another monitor on your own computer can you? This would at least tell you which is the problem.

Technotiger 19:44 09 Jan 05

Hi, I am not an expert, just an experienced novice, but from your description I would suspect an overheating problem of some sort - others who are expert will no doubt come on and help you further - but to help them, what is your OS etc, what size is your PSU, CPU etc.

karl1483 19:48 09 Jan 05

i am using win xp home addition with sp2 i have an athlon 2600 and i am using a 450w psu hope this may help

Technotiger 19:54 09 Jan 05

Well, you have a decent setup, so perhaps Monitor might be iffy in some way, suggest in that case try T-b's idea.

Cheers.

karl1483 19:56 09 Jan 05

i have an old pentium i will try thanks

mec13 20:25 09 Jan 05

I too have a very similar set-up ati radeon 9200 256mb, 2.6 ath xp home, etc. My 15" tft monitor goes black (out of range) symbol appears when certain games are loaded, so the responce to this posting would be interesting. A recent posting of mine did suggest a better graphic card though.

bluesbrother 20:29 09 Jan 05

mec13 Sounds like your refesh rate is too high.
Try setting it to 'Adapter Default'

Carpigiani 20:36 09 Jan 05

Another way to test would be to switch your monitor off for half an hour to cool down but leave you computer on.
If when you switch monitor back on the lines have gone the problem is with the monitor, if still there problem is with the graphics card.

karl1483 20:48 09 Jan 05

i currently have my old pentium running no probs as yet will check back in a bit then try turning of monitor as suggested ta

Gongoozler 20:58 09 Jan 05

If turning the monitor off for a time to allow it to cool, this fan from Ebuyer can improve the cooling around the graphics card. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now