Is it legal - copying VHS to DVD

swapper 17:10 10 Feb 04

Is it legal to copy my old collection of VHS tape films to DVD, for my own personal use as I want to reduce my storage space.
TIA

ensonricky 17:12 10 Feb 04

No

Jester2K 17:34 10 Feb 04

Depends on the copyright.

If its your holidays in Clacton then thats OK.

If its Hollywood blockbusters for the last 10 years then no.

dfghjkl 18:01 10 Feb 04

i guess we are allowed to tape a film off the tv onto vhs (or not)so i cant see a problem with those but any bought ones will come with a copyright in the credits and maybe on the sleeve as well.

Indigo 1 19:21 10 Feb 04

Surely if you just make one copy for your own personal use (so as not to degrade your VHS copy any more) then that would be fine....no ?

Tim1964 19:57 10 Feb 04

We are not legally allowed to record off the TV either but can you imagine the uproar if 'they' tried to prosecute someone for it. If you are only converting tapes you have anyway then no one is going to 'do you' for it.

Have you noticed that it's illegal to re-sell a book? The charity shops / bootsalers would all burn in hell for the amount of that going on :)

gold 47 20:13 10 Feb 04

If the tape is encripted you could never copy it from tape to tape as the picture was unstable don't know if you would get the same result going to DVD after using the DVD copy software.

gold 47 20:32 10 Feb 04

Sorry for spelling error should read ENCRYPTION.

swapper 22:47 10 Feb 04

well guys, and dolls??

I think that I will consider this question as resolved, and use my common sense, thanks for giving me a nudge in the right direction :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…