Is it legal to connect to peoples internet

Shutt1e 13:31 03 Aug 06

i was wondering if it is legal to connect to peoples wireless internet as i have built in wireless in my internet in my laptop i havent coneccted yet so thats why im asking

FelixTCat 13:40 03 Aug 06

Shutt1e,

Strictly, yes. It is theft, since you are stealing the bandwidth they have paid for.

I have heard arguments that if somebody leaves their wireless network open, then they are inviting you to use it. Leaving your front door open may be silly, but it is not an invitation to anyone to take your contents.

It is even illegal to find an open network and leave a message warning them that it is open!

There are a number of businesses that offer free wireless connection to encourage you to use their premises. Unfortunately, even more are short-sighted and want to charge ridiculous fees for that.

Regards,

Felix

Regards,

Felix

recap 14:40 03 Aug 06
  ade.h 16:12 03 Aug 06

click here
click here
click here

To connect to a network without authorisation (expressed) is in breach of the first rule of the Computer Misuse Act.

Precedents have, as I am sure you are aware, been set by successful prosecutions relating to the unauthorised use of internet access.

Shutt1e 21:30 03 Aug 06

ok thx for the heads up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…