It Just Died

buzz_ig 22:21 26 Apr 06

My desktop computer was working fine, I had just finished some work and set it to run a Windows Defender scan. I returned an hour later to find it had just died. The fans were still running, but the monitor was complaining of no input and the hard drive was silent. The reset button on the front did nothing, nor did the power switch.

Removing the power cable turned everything off, but replacing it and it returns to the same state. Fans on, DVD tray will open, close and spin, but nothing happens. No monitor signal, no hard drive spinning.

Does anyone have any ideas what may have happened?

woodchip 22:22 26 Apr 06

PSU as packed in. it needs more power to get it to run

woodchip 22:32 26 Apr 06

PS it happend to me just like that

buzz_ig 22:35 26 Apr 06

Really? The fans work and the power cables to the hard drives & DVD have power. It is 3.5 years old if that means anything.

Next question, where is the best place to get computer bits like a PSU these days?

Thanks.

woodchip 22:40 26 Apr 06

I got my last one at a Computer fair but you buy on line, or PCworld Maplin a Antec should be OK etc. If you can, try to get the PSU in your hand to see how heavy it is. As the heavier the better. get at least a 350 watt more if you use power components or have several drives

Strawballs 00:13 27 Apr 06
  vinnyT 11:33 27 Apr 06

Go to the bottom of this page, it's scans today only page, at the bottom is 'All PSUs - All Week!'. Tagen, Seatonic, etc.

Hope this helps.

vinnyT 11:34 27 Apr 06

Sorry, here's the link click here

buzz_ig 13:51 27 Apr 06

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Unfortunately, living in Northern Ireland it looks like it's going to cost me more in shipping than the cost of the PSU. Oh well...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…