Is It illegal to sell CD copies to family members?

Internetwhizzkid 21:46 13 Dec 06

hi,
just a question if you had a original CD is it illegal to copy it and then give it to members of you family for a small price?

I can understand if you sold them to the public ie at a car boot it is illegal
But is it illegal to do it for family by charging them for the CD and Case not the content Just the pehiperals. (empty CD r and Empy Jewel case) and then the music is just a copy of mine.

Thanks
Ben

Technotiger 21:48 13 Dec 06

Sell?? to family .... don't you know it's Christmas.

Have a nice one. I won't tell anyone if you don't!

Technotiger 21:50 13 Dec 06

Only pulling your leg ... but anyway, unless you wrote and produced the music, it is not yours anyway, probably got copyright.

Stuartli 21:57 13 Dec 06

It's not your music to copy except, perhaps, for personal use (such as in the car).

Seems a bit mean though to charge for the CD-R and case - their prices are very low these days.

Technotiger 22:02 13 Dec 06

Me again Ben,

I am guessing you are a young lad, still at school - if you wanna make a bit of cash for Christmas, why not have a go at washing your neighbours cars, even your own families cars, you could make a tidy sum that way.

SANTOS7 22:17 13 Dec 06

Making any sort of copy is ILLEGAL but you have a chance to maybe relax the laws which govern personal use..
click here

Internetwhizzkid 22:24 13 Dec 06

well all are for personal use ie in the car and yes it is 2 get a bit of money. cos i hate not being able to do anythng and my famiy offer to pay for cds etc

Internetwhizzkid 22:24 13 Dec 06

well all are for personal use ie in the car and yes it is 2 get a bit of money. cos i hate not being able to do anythng and my famiy offer to pay for cds etc

Totally-braindead 23:37 13 Dec 06

Is it illegal? Yes it is.
At the moment it is also illegal to make a copy of an original CD you actually own for your own use, ie one copy in the house, one in the car.

When you buy a CD you buy the write to play that CD and listen to it but have no rights over the music at all.

In reality I don't think any company would take anyone to court for making one copy of a CD they own for their personal use. But if you make copies and sell them then its a different matter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017