is it hard to learn how to format hard drives ?

triflesterms 12:37 25 Sep 03

hi

Ive just about had enough of paying people to reinstall windows, formating hard drives etc.
can you recomend any sites to learn how?

Hope you can help

Steve

pinka 12:40 25 Sep 03

xp , 2000 , me , 98 , 95 ?

triflesterms 12:48 25 Sep 03

sorry xp

beeuuem 13:02 25 Sep 03

This is a blow by blow account of how to reinstall XP click here
It does take a little time to open because of all the graphics.

Tog 13:07 25 Sep 03

Either boot from the CD or get a boot floppy from here click here

Then

Follow the Microsoft instructions found here click here

triflesterms 13:29 25 Sep 03

dont i need to reformat hard drives before i install window?

alcudia 13:46 25 Sep 03

You first need to make sure that your PC is set to boot from the CD before the hard drive.
When you first turn on your pc you should see at the bottom of the screen a command to press (usually Del) to enter set up. Press and hold the key mentioned and the bios will appear. You will have to find the boot options, which differ according to the bios. On mine they are under advanced cmos funtions. You will see the drives listed as Floppy; CD-Rom and HDD0 (your hard drive). Make sure that the first boot drive is the CD-Rom. You will then have to find the option to save and exit (usually an F key) and then possible say a further yes by pressing Y. Insert your XP CD and restart. You should see briefly at the bottom of the screen the command Press any key to boot from CD. Hit the spacebar. The Windows setup screen will appear on a blue background and you will see files loading at the bottom of the screen. Allow this to run until complete. When prompted press enter to Set up XP. Press F8 to accept agreement. Press Esc to install a fresh copy of Windows as per the prompt. From the options at the bottom of screen press D to delete the partition and return to confirm, then press L to complete the deletion. At the next screen press C to create a new partition. Accept the default size. Press enter to continue setup. If asked choose a file system, Fat32 or NTFS. You drive will be reformatted and some files will be copied. Set up will initialize and the computer will restart. Ignore any further prompts to boot from CD. XP will install. During installation you will be asked for regional and keyboard settings etc., and also network setings (typical should be ok) Make sure you answer correctly. When complete PC will restart. Again ignore prompt to boot from CD. When running remove CD. All done. Activate It. Good luck.

triflesterms 13:57 25 Sep 03

Thanx a lot, do i need a start up floppy?
where will i find the boot options?
is formatting included in the above?

alcudia 14:03 25 Sep 03

You do not need a floppy. The location of boot options will depend on your bios. Did you get a manual? Also your bios name should be the first thing that appears on the black & white screen when you switch your PC on. Make a note of this if you cannot find them and post back.

If you look about five lines up I did say that your drive will be formatted.

triflesterms 14:23 25 Sep 03

ok thanx, i did get a manual

2020 18:50 25 Sep 03

if i reformatt will i lose everything i have?
can i just refresh w98 by popping the cd in and starting up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…