Before it goes pear shaped....

deggsymann 08:13 17 Jan 04

Posted yesterday about prob where had a system drive with xp installed on a 4gb partition on a 8gb drive,had installed xp onto a new 80gb drive on a 10 gb partition but it wouldnt boot - NTLDR not found.

If i put the old drive back in as a slave, i got the option of 2 xp's to choose from and could run from the new xp no problem.

A friend brought round a prog called Partition Magic and copied the old system partition to the new drive and deleted the other xp.

Now i can boot with just the new drive but get the option of 3 xps now. If i reinstalled xp but didnt format the drive, would that get rid of the options? Also how big can i make the partion as i kept running out of space on the old drive - hence the new drive?

deggsymann 08:19 17 Jan 04

By the way i would get him to resize with partition magic not by formatting again - thought i ought to mention that fact

deggsymann 09:18 17 Jan 04

Sod it, im going to go for it , i can always copy the original drive again if it doesnt work.

Big Elf 11:16 17 Jan 04

It's something to do with editing the hidden file boot.ini. Hopefully someone can advise how it should be amended. This is what mine looks like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

MichelleC 11:25 17 Jan 04

This may help click here

deggsymann 17:10 19 Jan 04

had a go at your suggestions and all is well again.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…