Is it a faulty monitor/virus/power problem

tomnewton 13:32 02 Oct 03

Recently whenever I start windows my monitor turns off computer crashes so I can't turn it on. This happens in about 20 seconds. I then have to turn it off at the source. What is the liekly problem/solution?

woodchip 13:48 02 Oct 03

have you tried starting in safe mode keep pressing f8 when you start. if it goes come back with new info

DieSse 14:25 02 Oct 03

Can you explain in a few more words and some more detail please, exactly what happens - because I can't fully understand what you are saying.

PA28 14:35 02 Oct 03

If I understand this correctly - and I see what DieSse means! - it might be a problem with the graphic card driver as it switches to Windows mode. Woodchip's suggestion would validate this - if you can get into safe mode then I would, as a first step, remove the display adaptor (and the monitor as well for good measure) then reboot and let the system redetect.

DieSse 14:50 02 Oct 03

"Recently whenever I start windows ...." - Do you mean when you switch the computer on?

"my monitor turns off" - Do you mean you never get a display - or do you get a display, and at what point does it turn off - Do you mena turn off or go blank - Do you ever see anything on it, if so what.

"computer crashes so I can't turn it on" - How do you know the computers crashed if you can't see anything? - Do you really mean you can't turn it on - or should that be you can't turn it off? - if you mean you can't turn it off - try pressing the power button and holding it for about 6-7 seconds - there's often a delay on them.

Jester2K II 14:53 02 Oct 03

Also when the "monitor turns off" what colour is the light on the monitor by the power switch? Green or orange??

tomnewton 15:16 02 Oct 03

thanks all. i mean when i turn the computer on and then log on to windows, after a short period the monitor switches off and the standby light turns orange on the monitor. I think it has then crashed as I cannot turn it off at the case and have to switch it off at the wall. I will try starting in safe mode when I get back home this evening. Thanks again.

PA28 21:19 02 Oct 03

As obviously something worked (you ticked the box) what was the problem in the end?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…