is it easy to fit new dvd to gx 280

nonowtatall 17:08 18 Sep 08

i have got a dell optiplex GX 280 its not like a normal pc tower case and it has only got a CD rom in it will it take a dvd writer or reader or a dual type and how do i get into the casing will it be similar to a standard tower

mrwoowoo 19:38 18 Sep 08

Seems easy enough.
click here

nonowtatall 21:51 23 Sep 08

thanks mrwoowoo I followed the instructions it was dead easy but when i run the computer the dvd will not play it says no disc i checked the system and it shows a dvd samsung as is what i have it plays cd rom but not dvd rom or even dvd movies
what do you thnk the problem is

mrwoowoo 22:06 23 Sep 08

It sounds as if the DVD pickup head may have either failed of lost alignment.
Is it a new unit? Maybe get in touch with the supplier and see if they will change it.
Have you tried different makes/types of DVD's incase it's a bit picky.
Maybe a firmware upgrade could sort it out if you know the make of the DVD writer.

nonowtatall 22:22 23 Sep 08

thanks again mrwoowoo it is a samsung but not brand new it came from a friends computer and was working when he took it out it is not a writer just a dvd rom

mrwoowoo 00:30 24 Sep 08

The first thing i would do is to go to Control panel>system>device manager>DVD/CD rom drives and note the make and number of it.
Then go to Samsungs website (support) and look for a firmware upgrade.
If you can't find one,post back the name,e.g Samsung DRW-2014LT. and maybe we can track one down.

nonowtatall 20:31 24 Sep 08

thanks mrwoowoo I bit the bullit and bought a new dvd rom they are quite cheap installed it and it is working perfectly so as they say JOB DONE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…