Is it dead?

Dirk Diggler 20:33 16 Feb 04

Okay heres the deal! Went to power up my laptop (Dell Latitude running win98) and it went straight do Scandisk, nothing to worrying there. Then started running a "Surface Scan" which got halfway through, only to tell me that there were some bad sectors on my C:drive that it couldnt fix!!! Now everytime I boot up I get a message saying "couldnt find sector on c:", gives me the option to Abort, Retry or Fail -none of which do anything! Can any of yee good techie folk give me a clue as to how to save my dear laptop from that recycle bin in the sky?

Lozzy 20:38 16 Feb 04

Do you have a windows start up disk?? Your HDD is dying if not dead so its a new HDD to give new life to your lappy.. The start up disk may get you in to back up you data..

Best buys for a laptop HDD click here

hugh-265156 20:46 16 Feb 04

see the last reply click here

but from the sounds of it due to the bad sectors etc.its dead hard drive.

try a diagnostic.run from floppy.

seagate click here

maxtor click here

hitachi click here

western digital click here

JIM 20:47 16 Feb 04

What is the report saying from a normal scandisk via my computer?( bad sector etc. ) Not saying that your not introuble.

Valvegrid 20:49 16 Feb 04

I'm remembering the last time this happened to me a few years ago. At that time Scandisk marked the bad sectors thereafter ignored them and the disk is still working. The problem is, is if the bad sectors contain system files then I expect that's the problem, windows is throwing a wobbly 'cos it can't find it's files.

Do as Lozzy says with the startup disk to get you into DOS to recover any important data, then invest in a new disk or laptop.

If you haven't got a boot disk, you can get one from here: click here

Dirk Diggler 20:53 16 Feb 04

just trying using win98 disk as suggested - fingers crossed (nice to know some good folks out there!

Dirk Diggler 21:05 16 Feb 04

Just appeared to reinstall win but got the same message on startup - gone into surface scan again. Huggyg71, i presume the different makes you mention for a diagnostic disk are for the make of the HDD. Whoops , not sure which one I have and cant get to my computer to see :-(

hugh-265156 01:03 17 Feb 04

i have a seagate drive and i can and have used other manufactures tools to check the drive ok.

most diagnostics will/should work with other manufacturers drives.so long as its an ide drive.

try one.worst that can happen is it just wont work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…