Is it beyond upgrading?

Daisy22 13:07 24 Jan 06

We have just been given a PC for our daughter. The details of the PC are:
Intel Celeron version X86
398 mz
Memory RAM 64 mb
It has been upgraded to windows XP

It is running, but is extremely slow, it's more fun watching paint dry!

Will it be possible to add more memory to speed it up? She will want to play some games on it, but will mostly want it for internet and Messenger.

mattyc_92 13:24 24 Jan 06

You SHOULD be able to update it to 128meg (if the motherboard is new enough)

As for gaming... You will be lucky to use this computer for this, as the processor is on the minimum spec route to just run WinXP....

PsiFox 13:32 24 Jan 06

Even if you get 128Mb RAM it will struggle to do anything of real use. Blunt answer sorry :)

CLONNEN 13:38 24 Jan 06

You may be better off installing an older Operating System eg. Windows 98 or ME (either of these would certainly run faster than XP)

CLONNEN 13:38 24 Jan 06

You may be better off installing an older Operating System eg. Windows 98 or ME (either of these would certainly run faster than XP)

Shortstop 13:42 24 Jan 06

PsiFox is correct. Even with an upgrade to RAM you are still running below the recommended minimum of 256Mb.

Can you move down from XP? If you are only using it for word, etc. than the spec should be OK on Win 95 - although, personally, I believe that even then it has a limited shelf life as your daughter's needs grow ...

HTH

Paul

Belatucadrus 13:47 24 Jan 06

click here for XP system requirements.

"64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features"

This indicates that your system is at the extreme bottom edge of the specification envelope and as all your running software such as anti virus will also want its chunk of RAM, explains why your system is so slow.
More memory would help, but with your systems age unless you can pick some up off e-bay it's likely to be ridiculously expensive. You'd probably be better off removing XP and going back whatever you had before, be it W98 or something else less resource hungry.

PsiFox 13:47 24 Jan 06

If you downgrade the op sys don't go below win 98 second edition if you wish to use broadband and make sure there are usb ports available.

Modo 16:32 24 Jan 06

It isn't worth bothering running XP with 128Mb RAM. Just too slow.

It will run 98SE adequately. Arguably even better ME which is still supported by Windows Update - although it can be very unstable even after all this time.

2000pro with 128Mb is a reasonable option.

But the machine is really only useful for

Internet - absolutely fine (if you can connect)
Fax
Word

Anything else will be painful especially if you fill up the hard disk and don't run it lean.

Batch 16:52 24 Jan 06

If your budget will stretch to it, if you go to somewhere like ebuyer click here, you can pick up a half decent system unit with Windows, speakers, keyboard and mouse (i.e. all but the monitor - you can use the one that you've got), for around £250 all-in. This would be a much much better solution.

Also, people like Dell sometimes have complete systems (including screen) for under £300 all-in.

Daisy22 16:39 25 Jan 06

I haven't got a windows 98 installation disc, is there a site where I can download it (legally?)
Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009