Is it the battery or the motherboard?

six-h 13:44 24 Jul 09

Since UK/USA made batteries for my old lappy cost more than the machine is worth, I've had to resort to ebay:-(
Didn't buy the cheapest, went for the more expensive ones, and the seller proclaimed, only Sanyo, Sony and LG cells are used.
Received and tried yesterday, Power meter recognised the battery as 31% charged so I powered up and was treated to two seconds of fans and LED's then it went dead.
After about 5hrs, power meter said 100% charged, so I tried again, this time it got as far as the POST screen before dying!
Immediately un hooked the battery, reconected it and tried again and it gets to about the same point, and dies.
Does this sound as if the battery is faulty or is it likely to be a joint/component failure on the M/B...and how/where to test either??

OTT_Buzzard 13:59 24 Jul 09

CMOS battery is a possibility. What happens if you use a mains power adaptor?

six-h 14:06 24 Jul 09

OTT_Buzzard: Don't understand, I have no problems with the CMOS, clock keeps good time and the BIOS settings are retained even when no power or battery is attached for two weeks or more.
How could the CMOS battery affect the main battery performance...or non-performance?

Ex plorer 14:33 24 Jul 09

Dose the laptop boot up ok with mains adapter connected with batteries in the laptop.

Does it boot with mains adapter connected without the batteries in the laptop.

OTT_Buzzard 14:37 24 Jul 09

CMOS battery was just an idea. An old laptop and failure to post are good indicators of the CMOS battery failing (irrespective of the problems with the main battery).

Would be interested in the answers to Ex plorer's questions.....

six-h 15:11 24 Jul 09

OTT_Buzzard: I see what you are getting at!
No, the lappy has been working just fine, it has always had the original (6yr old) battery in and connected, but in the 5 months I've had it, has never recognised, or acknowledged that it's there!
Ex plorer: as above, never had any problem, an engineer that had a look at it, just out of interest when I first got it, tried to power it from his power unit that auto sensed the correct voltage, and it wouldn't power it so he disconnected my old "goosed" battery and his power brick lit it up immediately.
When I got home, I too powered up with the battery disconnected, and no problems.
I only re-connected it in the hope that if there was a power surge, maybe the old battery would serve as a buffer and protect the machine...I now understand this was not how it works:-)

six-h 15:13 24 Jul 09

Oh, by the way, I've managed to boot into BIOS, on battery power and it's been going for about half an hour with no mains support.
Reason I'm in there is I was told that maybe there is a calibration feature in there somewhere.
I'm too scared to explore though!!

OTT_Buzzard 17:10 24 Jul 09

Make / model of lappy?

six-h 17:16 24 Jul 09

Clevo Model D22ES badged "Iridium" and the model name is "Starbook 520"
It's about 6 years old, hence my reticence to buy a UK/US battery at £96 plus VAT, plus postage!
I was kinda forced to buy from ebay:o(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:35 24 Jul 09

1. Turn off the computer,
2. Take the battery out
3. Take out the power supply
4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
5. Reconnect power supply
6. Then the battery.

See if batteries will now charge fully.

mooly 17:44 24 Jul 09

Do you know if this is a Lithium Ion type battery or is it a nicad or nickel metal hydride type.
What I am getting at is you just don't know how "new" a new battery is. For Lithium Ion 4 or 5 years stood unused isn't good. Some are doing well to get that life from new in use.
Fitting this new battery has at least "changed the fault" in that it is recognised now ? which might be pointing to a duff battery.
With the BIOS displayed on battery power it's at least running. Maybe the voltage (battery) is low, and the operating system is telling it to shutdown. Just wih the bios and it's not getting to that stage of course.
I'd go with a duff battery on balance from what you say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…