Ist Time PC Builder who wants advice on Spec

SupectBasher 14:07 07 Jan 09

Hi I am building my first PC and this is the spec I have mangled together from reading through as many threads as possible. please could you tell me what you think :-)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850e 2.5GHz £46 click here
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G £55 click here
OPTICAL DRIVE: I am using my existing dvd drives (HP dvd 940 and LG GDR 8163B DVD-ROM DRIVE)
RAM: 2x 1GB Crucial 667MHz £20
HDD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM £50 click here
REMOTE: Microsoft OEM Media Center Remote Control £18
Case: NZXT Hush low noise chassis
PSU: Hiper 530W Black Type M
click here

Do I need a CPU cooler, if so which would you suggest?
I am uing PC for mostly internet useage, also i constantly have the tv tuner running all the time. Also i do a lot of video streaming. So do I need a graphis card or will the MOBO handle my graphics.

Sea Urchin 14:14 07 Jan 09

Why not stick to your original thread?

click here

SupectBasher 16:07 07 Jan 09

Because Im an idot who made a mess of the first one, so thought id try again with it a bit clearer, sorry

X™ 16:10 07 Jan 09

YES YOU NEED A CPU COOLER!

If you ever trun on a PC without one, say bye bye to your processor.

I won't pretend to know what one to get, I haven't bought one in years. Akasa Freezer Pro is supposed to be good, according to reviews.

Get a couple of good case fans in there too. You can get silent ones.

SupectBasher 16:18 07 Jan 09

The case I'm getting actually has two 120mm fans in it, so hopefully with a CPU cooler aswell it will be nice and chilly in there.

Honestly the main thing I want advice on is the MOBO and CPU, AMD or Intel and is there a better MOBO for my requirements or maybe more futureproof??

egapup 16:22 07 Jan 09

I'de get a bigger PSU and you really need a graphics card.

SupectBasher 16:24 07 Jan 09

OK i'll check the PSU when I have the final design to make sure its sufficient, which graphics card would you recommend?

kidda123 16:29 07 Jan 09

The AMD Athlon 64x2 offer real value for money, I've used AMD for years and never had any issues. I've just purchased a Nvidia 9600GT It's a pretty powerful midrange graphics card which is HDCP so will be ideal for HD/Media centre going forward.

SupectBasher 16:35 07 Jan 09

Well thanks I'm nearly clear on all aspects now, just the Motherboard to clarify or change, any advice??

SupectBasher 08:38 08 Jan 09

Can anyone offer any advice on my MOBO?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017