isqkp

westmoor 13:57 31 Dec 04

I am using XP Home with SP2 installed and having trouble with a slow boot-up, and every time I boot-up I get the message :-

Windows cannot open this file

File: isqkp

Anyone got any ideas about this.

Taff36 14:07 31 Dec 04

Done a search for "isqkp" on my system but haven`t found anything. Are you sure you have spelt this right.

westmoor 14:10 31 Dec 04

Yes it is spelled right and I have searched several times and can't find it

Taff36 14:35 31 Dec 04

Tried a few variants such as "sqkp" and the only file to show up was part of the Winzip installation - a zipped file that puts an icon in your task bar for one of it`s functions. Long Shot coming up!

Remove Winzip and reinstall it. (Assuming you had it in the first place of course!)

westmoor 14:49 31 Dec 04

I have not got Winzip installed as I use "Directory OPUS"

Taff36 16:13 31 Dec 04

Fresh out of ideas then. This will bump you back up the list anyway - Good Luck!

westmoor 09:56 01 Jan 05

The letterw have changed to :- qfsgk

AndySD 10:06 01 Jan 05

Are you using an up to date Antivirus (if not then try AVG click here also try running A2 click here rember to update them after instalation then run the checks.

T0SH 10:08 01 Jan 05

Get update and use, spybot search & destroy ,adaware ,spywareblaster , for a starter also update you AV and do a full scan, also run online virus scans

Cheers HC

ACOLYTE 11:06 01 Jan 05

Where does windows sat the file is located?,
when it boots and says it cannot open the file can you jot down the location.

Jon Storm 11:29 01 Jan 05

I had a problem like that, turned out to be a trojan. It was renaming itself on every restart, I couldn't delete it because it was always open, and every time I removed it from the registry it reinserted itself there immediately. Adaware SE could detect it (as a series of "VX2 Objects"), but not remove it. Eventually I found I could identify it by looking in my Windows & Windows\system32 folders (I'm using XP, SP1) for files created that day. Wrote down their names (there were several), deliberately crashed the PC to prevent the rename, booted from a Windows 98 startup floppy which I had to hand, deleted the files from the DOS prompt, and finally I was rid of it. Took _ages_.

It was a vicious little [bleep] - as well as renaming itself it kept installing rogue software including "Bargain Buddy", "Recommended Hotfix", "Ad-destroyer", "Virus blaster" and several others, changing my homepage & Hosts file, and popping up adverts. Sounds like you have something similar, but it's not working properly - maybe SP2 is partially blocking it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…