ISP wanted without CD connection

Andsome 10:03 16 May 03

A friend wishes to go online. She has never had an internet account. I don't particularly want to use a CD if I can help it I am suspicious of all ISP software. I don't particularly want to use a CD to establish an account and then uninstall it. Are there any ISP's who will give you details of dial up configurations etc and open an account in readiness for me to configure the account by hand and avoid software altogether?

Sir Radfordin™ 10:22 16 May 03

Lots let you sign up online so you could do it that way - you would just have to run settings file that would create the dial up connection etc.

MartinT-B 10:39 16 May 03

99% of them do not need a CD.

The CD is for convenience for those 'newbies' who are not confident enough to set up the connection manually.

If you talk to the Tech Depts and explain that you have no CD player they will talk you/het through it.

I have personal experience with BT, Clara.net, Blueyonder and Dircon Tech Departments and would recommend any of them.

Under no circumstances talk to 'standard' customer support. Most of them are ½ wits - not all, just the majority.

DieSse 10:42 16 May 03

Sign her up on-line on your system, then take the settings you get and manually put them into hers. I do this all the time (but with Spanish ISPs, so I can't recommend anyone specific.)

MartinT-B 10:44 16 May 03

I'll give you an example - Clara.net told me to enter my domain click here into the ftp progam I use, but I couldn't get a connection.

After 10 minutes of talking to a dummy in cust services, I was put through to the tech dept who immediately said "use 195.8.172.whatever" instead, and 2 seconds later I was connected.

keith-236785 12:13 16 May 03

you could use click here it is easy and free and does not take over your computer as Freeserve & Supernet do. there are loads of others but this is the one i chose and have had no problems with. good luck

Djohn 12:16 16 May 03

I joined "Freeserve" last week, special offer of £6.99 per month for first three months. I had picked up the CD from PC World, but then decided I would prefer a simple manual connection.

Gave them a call on the phone, they gave me the dial up number and a user name/Password. Went into control panel, make a new connection wizard and connected in 5 minutes, all without any trace of Freeserve branding or extras on my PC at all. Regards J.

_Treb_ 21:15 16 May 03

0845 0796699 Freeserve number for pay as you go

hssutton 21:39 16 May 03

Have a look at this,click here. Complete with full instructions on how to set up your PC

Patr100 23:51 16 May 03
  Andsome 08:41 17 May 03

Many thanks to everyone, I have saved this page and will print it out for when I call round to do the job for her.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…