ISP supporting Windows 95?

Newuser3068 12:44 14 Apr 05

An old couple (87 and 90!) who are neighbours of mine want to learn how to use a computer so they can email their grandchildren in the USA. They have been given a 10-year-old computer to see whether they can cope with using it, before they spend money on a new one. The computer runs Windows 95.
I have been trying to create an email account for them with Wanadoo, but I can't get their free CD to work properly on a Win 95 system.
Can anyone suggest how I can get a free (phone charges only) email account set up on this old machine, so this couple can try their hand at email?
Outlook Express is already resident on the machine.
Thanks for any ideas!

Yoda Knight 12:58 14 Apr 05

If you have the pop3 and smtp settings for Wannado you can enter them manualy into Outlook Express. You will also need the user name, password and dial-up telephone number.

You shouldnt need to run the CD at all if you have those details

pj123 13:14 14 Apr 05

Newuser3068, this is not intended to "knock you down" but there are many ads around selling old computers cheaply, generally with the words "ideal for beginner". Unfortunately, they are not ideal for a beginner. But to answer your question. Providing there is an internal modem installed in the computer I don't see any reason why a standard PAYG dialup account won't work.

Supanet is quite good click here

To get onto the Internet (not email) quickly to test whether your modem is capable set up a New Connection, (call it Test) enter this number 08451121212, enter any ID (bloggs) and enter any password (fred). Once connected go to click here and sign up on line to their PAYG package.

pj123 13:19 14 Apr 05

Sorry, forgot to say you need to do it on your neighbours computer, not yours, but I assume you realise that.

Newuser3068 13:46 14 Apr 05

I have pop3 and smtp settings for Wanadoo, and a dialup number, but no account name or password. How can I establish an account and get these without being able to visit their website (because I have no dialup account!)? It seems like Catch 22!

Newuser3068 13:51 14 Apr 05

I do understand what you say about old computers not being suitable for beginners. But this is a very elderly couple without a great deal of money. The last thing they want to do is to lash out several hundred pounds on a new computer, only to find in a few weeks or months that they really can't get on with it.
Neither of them has so much as touched a computer before. So I am actually very dubious as to whether they will be able use on. But they do deserve the chance to try.
Thanks for your help - I'll follow your advice.

Yoda Knight 13:56 14 Apr 05

Use the dial-up details that PJ123 has given you then. The pop3 and smtp settings for email are available in the help pages on the Supranet website (PJ123 has supplied the link to that aswell)

Newuser3068 14:26 14 Apr 05

Many thanks for your help, guys.

woodchip 14:30 14 Apr 05

As above, If it's just a Dial-Up connection. You need the ISP phone number the Password and POP and SMTP for sending and receiving mail

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…