ISP successfully changed, but with 1 more question

Fateful Shadow 15:46 24 Jul 03

I have managed to change my ISP on two computers in the same house (to a professional it's second nature, but I'm proud of myself :P).

However, when I tried to get into the ISP, the password box came up with lots of dots instead of the number of dots there should be. I did connect fine though!

Why does this happen...I'm guessing its security...

Djohn 15:49 24 Jul 03

Yep! your correct, makes it more difficult for someone to guess the number of characters you've used. j.

vinnyT 15:49 24 Jul 03

Yep, it's security, xp adds * to the password box, to confound who would try to steal/guess your pword, though only the correct pword is sent.

barrie_g 15:49 24 Jul 03

Its a standard feature of XP it always displays the same number of dots (16 I think) regardless the length of password, yes your right its a security thing its supposed to stop anyone looking over your shoulder and then trying to guess the password later.

Djohn 15:52 24 Jul 03

hssutton 16:18 24 Jul 03

Having just recently upgraded to XP this was also a puzzle to me. Many thanks, Folks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…