ISP Speeds?!

jake2 16:47 30 Aug 05

I have recently switched isp, and increased service from 512kbps(nildram) to 2000kbps (demon)
Only to find that my speed hasn't changed noticably. I contacted Demon who told me to log onto bt's test site "every 4 hours for two days!!!" I did this (sort of) and got speeds ranging from 455kbps to 482kbps (which is pathetic) I got back to demon and was told "that is within acceptable limits"
So I contacted a friend in BT who told me of another employee who tried to upgrade from 512kbps to 1000kbps and was told by his isp, that his line would not support that speed, strange as his neighbour has 2000kbps running!! The employee is of the conclusion that some isp's software is better than others thus allowing greater speeds on the same lines. Can this be true?

ashdav 17:53 30 Aug 05

click here
Make sure you're not confusing kbps with kBps.
2000kbps is 250kBps.

Stuartli 17:56 30 Aug 05

Or the click here speed test (via the Support link)

jake2 19:36 30 Aug 05

Thanks I've done those tests and the results still come back very slow. kbps not kBps. I accept that my connection is slow, I m trying to figure out if the information I've been given about different isp's speeds is correct or not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…