ISP Speed on 56K Modem ONLY

david4637 14:13 14 Mar 04

My ISP is Tiscali - 50 Hours £9.99/month
Connection speed around 44000 bps
Typical Download speed 3.5 to 4KBytes/sec.
Would you please quote your -

1. ISP, package and price

2. Typical Connection speed

3. Typical download speed

Thanks David

SEASHANTY 14:51 14 Mar 04

Similar download speed to what I used to get on AOL dialup couple of years ago. Very slow. MS updates seemed to take forever and often timed out on me.
Now I am on NTL 600k BB (£25 monthly) and don't have such problems. Sunday afternoons are probably worst on dialup because so many more users on line at this time. Just have to go onto BB or keep suffering.

Indigo 1 14:54 14 Mar 04

Mine used to be almost identical to yours when I was on Dial-Up...Very frustrating....

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:56 14 Mar 04

Mine was the same on dial up. Looks normal to me.

G

TommyRed 15:03 14 Mar 04

When I was on dial-up my ISP was Tesco, package was Anytime with no restrictions, £12.49 per month, 30 days notice to quit I think. My connection speed was between 36 - 44kbps, don't remember download speed. Now on PlusNet broadband 512kbps, looking back to dial-up is like remembering the old black and white TV's. Nostalgia. TR

Dagwoood 15:26 14 Mar 04

I use the telewest surf unlimited package. It's about to go up to 14 quid a month(from 13 quid). There are no limits on the amount of time spent online.

My connection speed ranges from just over 44kb at the times when the net is the most busy up to 49kb in the small hours.

Download speeds obviously vary from one site to another but typically they range from 5kb/sec up to 6kb/sec, again the variations in speed seem more noticable between busy times and after midnight.

The only real downside to there service is a premium rate phone number to there technical assistance department(I don't know whether this is typical for other dial up ISP's) but in saying that I've never had any problems.

Hope this helps, dagwoood.

p.s.The monthly charge above is if you pay by direct debit.

Dagwoood 15:43 14 Mar 04

Sorry, meant to say that you need a telewest phone line to be eligable for this service.

Forget my head if it was loose!

dagwoood.

Gongoozler 15:46 14 Mar 04

Hi David. Connection speed depends on your modem, your telephone line and various other factors. I was recently asked to look at a friend's computer that was only managing about 5000bps connection. I moved the modem to a different slot and it then achieved about 44000 which is quite a common speed. The speed you get when you click on the icon is actually only the speed your computer is communicating to the modem. If you want to know the true speed you are connected to the internet, try the McAfee speedometer, but don't be surprised if the result is nearer 36000. click here

computernerdiamnot 16:00 14 Mar 04

Hi David most 56k modems run that type of speed i use virgin and my speed says 44.0kbps but it is actually 37.12kb i tested this using the link given by gongoozler. i pay about £13 a month for unlimited access bbut i am changing over to bb for a extra tenner a month just to avoid the poor download times on 52k.

Indigo 1 16:25 14 Mar 04

Just a note;

I did find a slight increase in download speeds when I upgraded my Modem click here and was very pleased with it. The biggest improvement was when I started using Naviscope from click here An excellent tool !

troy tempest 16:33 14 Mar 04

1. NtlWorld unmetered £10 per month

2.Speed regularly around the 40s measured with speedometer.

3. Downloads about the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac