Isp, mail server, and port

kimjhon 23:32 24 Mar 04

I have registered with a new email server.

And am getting an error when I try to send an email using OE:

557 ... Local users: use port26, Port25 secure(SSL). Server Error....

From what I can gather this is prob because my ISP will not allow emails, other than those sent by their own email server, to use port 25 ???

Does anyone know how I could overcome this, please?

98SE - OE6

Clint2 00:06 25 Mar 04

It is my understanding that when you set up your various pop3 email accounts, that you only use one smtp address for all your email accounts and email clients.

kimjhon 00:17 25 Mar 04

Thanks Clint2

So does that mean I would have to change my ISP to allow a different mail server to operate ?

Clint2 00:23 25 Mar 04

In my own case, I use OE and Mozilla thunderbird email clients. I have an NTL ISP and email address, I also have an Yahoo email address. They are all routed through the NTL smtp server.

kimjhon 00:39 25 Mar 04

Is there a way for me to rid myself of BTYahoo email server and use another email server that I signed up for?

It appears BT (unlike your NLT)have managed to block emails sent through the port normally used for mail, unless I use their email server.
( I think that is what the error means)

Clint2 00:43 25 Mar 04

I would have thought that if you have another email server then you would use their smtp server address. Try it and see.

kimjhon 01:00 25 Mar 04

Clint2
I have just changed the port number to 26 from 25 , on the Advanced tab of properties of the new email address. ( Dont know if i should tick the box ' this server requires a secure connection'?). The email went but there is no record of it having gone in the Sent Items folder.

Getting out of my depth, here. Where would I find it and how would I config to use their smtp address, please ?

Clint2 01:16 25 Mar 04

In OE click Tools/Accounts/Mail. Click which account to amend. Click Properties/Servers. Amend accordingly. I think the smtp port should be 25.

kimjhon 01:27 25 Mar 04

Think the posts must have crossed, Clint2.
The port for both BT's server and the new server was 25.

And I have just changed the port for the new server to 26 as above.

The email appeared to go but it is not in the Sent Items folder as having gone.

Dont know yet if it has reached its destination. Will post one to myself.

But have i done the right thing? And what about the secure connection and no records being kept ?

Clint2 01:32 25 Mar 04

I do'nt have the secure connection ticked. I still think that the smtp port should be 25.

kimjhon 01:50 25 Mar 04

Well blow me. I'd forgotten. the email I sent via my new server using the changed port (26) was actually to myself. (It was in the Outbox because it previously could not be sent.)

I have now received it - both sent and delivered by the new server. And to my new addy.

This seems to have solved the prob. Except that the email was in 'properties detail'. The same as you see when you click on an email, select Properties and view source code.

Anybody know what is going on, please ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…