ISP away from home

Jackcoms 21:57 20 Sep 04

My elder daughter is shortly due to start university about 150 miles away.

We have bought her a laptop and the university provide BB ports in all their on-campus accomodation.

Will my daughter be able to 'piggy-back' off my ISP - that is, use my ISP log-in name and password at the same time that I continue to use the same log-in details here at home?

Or will she have to sign-up to her own ISP?

Night Ryder 22:12 20 Sep 04

Provided your daughter has all your log in details there is no problem. It's just like if you were away from home and wished to pick up email, just access your ISP home page and log in to youre email account in the usual way. I travel quite a lot and find I can access my email in this way from say, an internet caffe. I even managed to collect email in this way from Viet Nam a couple of years ago.

TomJerry 22:19 20 Sep 04

Because ISP is locked with your home phone number.

By the way, why you want to do that if she gets BB from Univ which is normally much much faster than home isp.

Night Ryder 22:35 20 Sep 04

Hope I've understood correctly. If your daughter has internet access from the university it should work. To explain, I have a hotmail account. To access this from remote locations I just go to the "MSN" website click on email and log in. As simple as this.

Night Ryder 22:42 20 Sep 04

Hope I've understood correctly. If your daughter has internet access from the university it should work. To explain, I have a hotmail account. To access this from remote locations I just go to the "MSN" website click on email and log in. As simple as this. It all depends how the university provides it's internet access. I'm assuming a LAN system here.

TomJerry, is quite correct. You could not access ISP by say, dialing in via modem as ISP is locked with your home phone number but you should be able to access the email account via internet explorer from a LAN system.

TomJerry 22:51 20 Sep 04

If it is email account he/she wants, then your answers are correct.

If internet access is what he/she wants, then my explaination is right.

Night Ryder 00:04 21 Sep 04

Agreed. Is a question that may not be answered until Jackcoms daughter arrives at the University.

Jackcoms 06:45 21 Sep 04

Thanks for your responses so far.

To explain - what my daughter wants is (most importantly) to access and surf the internet for research/study purposes and (less importantly) to access her Hotmail e-mail account.

In other words, she wants full internet and e-mail capability.

Danoh 08:11 21 Sep 04

In that case, she will be able to do that via the Uni's internet access without needing to use your ISP's internet access.

My son has just started Uni as well and he will continue to use his Hotmail e-mail account, which is designed to be used by people on the move.

He already knows that if there is insufficient free space provided by his Hotmail account (2Mb) that he can sign up to Yahoo.co.uk for 100Mb free Web e-mail space.

As your daughter already has a Hotmail e-mail account and presumably just signs on to that once she has internet access via a browser such as Microsoft Internet Explorer and your ISP's connection, nothing more needs to be done.

TomJerry 10:04 21 Sep 04

so, theoretically, the uplimit is 1Gb/s. If she can get that (maybe pay an one-off fee), she does not need to bother with home adsl BB (8Mb/s).

Jackcoms 10:06 21 Sep 04

Danoh

OK, thanks. I think I've got it now!!

The BB port provided by the University will allow my daughter full Internet access (and obviously access to her Hotmail account).

In other words, the fact that there is BB access available means that the University is subscribing to an ISP (whoever that may be) on behalf of all its students.

So, it's simply a matter of plugging the laptop into the BB port and off she goes?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…