ISO Files

Gran 14:14 20 Aug 08

I have been attempting to burn the GParted .iso files to a CD-R, being under the impression that I could then boot from that CD and adjust the partitions in my HDD.
Having downloaded the file, I used NERO to burn it to the CD. I assumed that the file would be unpacked during this process, or at least a bootable CD would be created. However, all that happened was that exactly the same .iso file that I downloaded was burned to the disk and was definitely not bootable.
I also tried using a file extracting application, but still could not find out how to make a bootable CD.
I obviously am doing something wrong. Please could someone kindly help, and perhaps advise what procedure should be used.
Thank you
Gran

Eric10 14:23 20 Aug 08

This is for Nero 7 but will be very similar in all versions.
Open Nero Burning Rom and cancel the wizard. On the menu go to Recorder, Burn Image then browse to the ISO.
Or, for Nero Express click "Image, Project, Copy" on the left. Click "Disc Image or Saved Project" in the main window and again browse to the ISO.

RobCharles1981 14:23 20 Aug 08

I use imageburn does the job for me fine.

click here

gardener 14:26 20 Aug 08

In Nero you have to select 'Burn Image' from the drop-down menu titled 'Recorder'.

Or you could try the programme ImgBurn:

click here

gardener 14:27 20 Aug 08

Ha! beaten to it!

scotty 14:31 20 Aug 08

I do not have Nero on this machine but I am certain that there is an option to create a bootable cd from .ISO file. Google should give you an answer.

An alternative is to get hold of a linux live cd which allows you to try Linux without installing anything on your harddrive. This will give you access to GParted. You can normally find Linux distros on some computer magazine or you can download the .ISO file from the internet !!??

brundle 14:40 20 Aug 08

The above still requires burning an .ISO to CD.

Another vote for ImgBurn from me.

DippyGirl 15:51 20 Aug 08

DeepBurner gets my vote - has a specific ISO option
Also if bruning an ISO I tend to write at 8x - i have had problems booting CD after using higher write speeds

Gran 16:06 20 Aug 08

Wow....Thank you for all these helpful reponses. I'll have a careful read through now and get back here when I've sorted it all out.
Gran

Gran 16:31 20 Aug 08

It worked brilliantly. I actually used Nero Express which came as a feebee on my system -- saved a download. GParted then did exactly as it said on the tin after I'd burned it.
So thank you everyone, that was a fantastic response.
Kindest regards
Gran

mfletch 18:11 20 Aug 08

For those who do not have software that can burn ISO

Here is a simple ISO Burner nothing else

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…