ISO burning problem

a member 18:45 13 Feb 06

I am not very familier with burning ISO files ,an i am somewhat confused about the so called disc capacities , I am trying to burn an ISO file so far without success, the ISO file is 4.53 gb...and i am using standard 4.7 GB disks , yet nero is stating that there is only 4.38 or thereabouts of disk space available ....weird
I have tried seveal discs , dvd-rw ...dvd-r, and dvd ram , but they all show up as being to small for the iso to fit .I have tried Nero , and alcohol 120% but the same problem , using XP
with NTFS
this is driving me crackers , anyone got any ideas , or are there some larger capacity disks avialable .

gudgulf 19:03 13 Feb 06

click here and scroll down to the technical questions.You'll find the answer there.

It's all to do with how manufacturers calculate the storage space.....same thing happens with hard drives.

You will need to use something like Nero Recode or DVD shrink click here to resize the file to fit the DVD

gudgulf 19:03 13 Feb 06

click here and scroll down to the technical questions.You'll find the answer there.

It's all to do with how manufacturers calculate the storage space.....same thing happens with hard drives.

You will need to use something like Nero Recode or DVD shrink click here to resize the file to fit the DVD

Big Elf 19:07 13 Feb 06

DVD Shrink might help although I haven't attempted to do what you're doing click here

A dual layer disk might do it providing you have a dual layer burner and the appropriate (expensive) disk.

Big Elf 19:08 13 Feb 06

sorry, missed the bit about DVD Shrink you posted.

a member 19:12 13 Feb 06

thanks for the reply gudgulf , but the ISO file in question , is not video , its a collection of executable programs . i think that you can only shrink video files with that software.

stalion 19:13 13 Feb 06

is it possible for you to split the file and put it on two dvd's?

a member 19:22 13 Feb 06

The ISO is a collection of programs ,but i do not want to split them ,
I have 3 DVD dual layer recorders that all play and record all formats . but i have never used a dual layer disc so far , the expense is not a problem as long as it works . would i need any extra software , or would nero 7 or alcohol 120% cope with dual layer burning .

Eric10 20:04 13 Feb 06

An ISO file needs to be burnt to a DVD and not just copied to it. In Nero Burning Rom you need to choose 'Burn Image' from the Recorder menu and then select the ISO file as the source. It will then burn the contents of the ISO to the DVD and you will find that it will fit onto a single layer DVD. The reason why the ISO is larger than the capacity of a DVD is because it contains the data to be burnt as well as information about the data that doesn't actually get burnt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant