Irritating set up screen

Petulant 23:38 03 Mar 07

I have Windows XP on my new laptop in Turkish. I had a daft idea to install XP Professional over it as I have it in English but after starting the set up process I chickened out after several severe warnings came up and exited the process.

Now every start up has a black screen giving me the option to set up Professional or arrow up to XP Home.

Please can anyone advise how I can get rid of the screen so it boots up normally?

Many thanks

lotvic 00:55 04 Mar 07

you will have to edit your boot.ini

boot.ini is a text file, it can be edited with a text editor such as Notepad
click here will explain it

Petulant 01:12 04 Mar 07

Thanks for your reply.I got to the edit bit but still wasn't sure if I should just delete the second OS.

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

Do I simply delete the last bit C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"?

lotvic 01:30 04 Mar 07

yes that should do it so it's like the one in this thread click here

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

lotvic 02:01 04 Mar 07

confirmation:

remove
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT

and remove
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

Petulant 14:07 04 Mar 07

I didn't think the installation of Professional had completed as I exited the set up after the warnings appeared (I had used this version on my old pc and it had gone over the old OS with no warnings or subsequent problems)

The partition stuff is all a bit too technical for me tho' I wish it wasn't. If I had continued the set up what sort of problems might have occured? I have Intel core duo 1.66 but don't have a clue what that means but I hope it's an improvement on the 3 ghz I had previous.

I deleted the text as advised and now I get the set-up screen still offering me a choice between XP Home and now 'windows' and something in brackets in Turkish.

Now I'm torn between trying to sort partition suff out and putting the English one on or trying to get rid of the set up screen and swatting up on my Turkish LOL

lotvic 17:13 04 Mar 07

If in doubt - edit your boot ini back to how it was and then you can start again with the original problem !

Not a solution, I know, but at least you will know where you are with it.

lotvic 00:15 05 Mar 07

^ just 'bumping' this up to the top

someone may see it and have suggestion

ashdav 00:27 05 Mar 07

download Killdisk click here onto a friends computer (or the one you are using to post here) and create a cd or usb flash.
Set the laptop to boot from cd or usb (hope the BIOS is in english) and run it.
You need to select 80H as the drive to delete.
This will erase the hardrive so you can do a clean install.

ashdav 00:36 05 Mar 07

When the screen says OK press enter then use up/down arrows to select Hard Disk Drive (80H) (not the partitions below it) then press F10.
Press F10 at the next screen then type in erase-all-data and hit return.
Should take around 30-60 mins depending on the size of the hdd and the speed of the laptop.
When the program has finished,switch off and remove the cd/usb flash drive.

Petulant 09:16 05 Mar 07

OMG I dunno if I dare attempt this. Only had the darn laptop a week or two. Everything is so daunting when you can't understand the lingo. Simple tasks I took for granted now are a major feat LOL.

Thanks ashdav - I will have a serious think before I try this and maybe take a peek at the Bios screen. Might be able to figure that even in Turkish but it could get hairy!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac