Irritating OS splash screen on start up

jaydoubleyou 01:34 05 Apr 04

I just reinstalled Windows XP. When I boot up it displays a splash screen with a choice of "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" or "Microsoft Windows XP Home" (actually not much of a choice!) and gives me 30 seconds to 'choose' before it boots. I can press enter at any time but would rather not, and I know that there's a file that I can edit (from previous experience playing with XP/Linux dual booting) to change this, which I thought was in the root of the C drive, but there does not appear to be any files in the C drive root.
Any ideas?

hugh-265156 02:07 05 Apr 04

click start/performance and maintenance/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings

untick "time to display list of operating systems" apply and ok.

note if you have the recovery console installed this will not be displayed anymore as it shows here as an option if installed. but if you ever need it you can go back to the above and retick via safe mode if you cannot get windows to start normally.

if that was ever the case though i would just re install though rather than faffing about with it.

jaydoubleyou 02:43 05 Apr 04

That did the trick, although I don't have a 'performance and maintenance' link, so I went in via Control Panel. I was also given the option to edit the list of operating systems, so I removed one of them - oddly enough it then said it was saving changes to c:\boot.ini, even though there's nothing listed in the root of c:\ (even with hidden files displayed)

hugh-265156 02:50 05 Apr 04

you are using classic view then thats why.

sometimes i put the performance and maintenance bit in because a lot of people still use the full on xp look.sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…