Irregular occurrence of major error message

The Belarussian Mafia 14:12 04 Nov 06

A friend has asked me about this issue, but I'm stumped.

Her PC is about 18 months old. The following started to occur a couple of months ago:

For no apparent reason (other than she is on the internet,) she says that the screen sometimes goes black & she sees the following message:

System has recovered from a serious error:
If you are seeing this for the first time, restart. If it has happened several times, press F8.

My guess is that the system has rebooted & this displays when it is rebooting.

Antispyware (Spybot, AdAware & Ewido) & antivirus (Avast!) are all up to date & run regularly. No virus has been found.

I told her to make a backup of all important files. I fear it might be a hardware failure, as it is apparently becoming more frequent (?hard disk?).

Thanks.

Totally-braindead 14:21 04 Nov 06

Could you ask her the next time it happens if you could get more details of what the serious error is as at the moment it could be anything at all.
Only suggestion I have is try repairing Internet Explorer in case its that or download Firefox 2.0 and see if the problem still occurs. Becuase you say it only appears to happen when she is online it has to be something to with the internet, whether its hardware or software will need some checking.

The Belarussian Mafia 14:54 04 Nov 06

OK - this makes sense. Will check this out.

Thanks.

Lettervanman 15:27 04 Nov 06

When I had this message there was a link to MS help. This came back with a driver conflict. I had recently upgraded my modem driver and so I reverted to the previous driver and have not had a problem since.

The Belarussian Mafia 01:17 05 Nov 06

Thanks Lettervanman - will investigate this as well...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac