irratating pc resetting

skye1205 07:21 05 Jun 03

hi can anyone help ??? - after checking all the usual reasons the pc keeps resetting itself its running Win XP at present - it can do it once a day or it can do it 20 times a day i receive no error messages just the pc resets and reboots itself as normal altho when it logs back on it does say this system has recovered from a serious error - occasionally i get a blue screen which halts the system and reads if you get this error for the first time do the following - check any hardware or software which has been done then it says bios memory disable the bios memory shadowing and caching but looking thru bios which erm i dont like to do lol i cant find them options anywhere - please help before it gets thrown thru a window lol thanks in advance

Lú-tzé 07:58 05 Jun 03

"after checking all the usual reasons" - It would be good if you could tell us these.

Still, I will give what I suggest: check for overheating (have a look in BIOS for the temp).

Do a defrag.

Run a virus check.

skye1205 08:08 05 Jun 03

the usual reasons being A virus check - defragged - checked inside the case for any loose cables etc - checked power managment for any settings in there that could cause the reset - even formatted pc and reinstalled o/s again but still it continues with same problem also just checked for overheating and temp is fine thanks tho all the same :)

-pops- 08:13 05 Jun 03

Is the PSU big enough to power all that you want it to power?

Running multiple drives, modern processors and anxiliary hardware can and does consume appreciable power and if you have, for example, a tiddly 200 Watt PSU it probably isn't going to cope.

keith-236785 08:19 05 Jun 03

check that the reset button isnt sticking in, just shutdown pc and then press reset button a few times, listen for it clicking like a switch should, then boot up and see if its any better.

this mostly happens when someone has (knocked/hit the computer in temper/moved the pc for example downstairs to upstairs)

good luck, post back if this doesnt help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…