Irql_not_less_or_equal - nvstor.sys + Boot Error

vernacott 23:00 06 Feb 09

Hi,

I woke up to my PC on a blank screen this morning with a message telling me "Disk Boot Failure, insert System Disk and press enter”.

So I entered my System Disk, Vista Home Premium and pressed enter. I get the ‘Windows is loading files’ message and then it locks to a blue screen:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Followed by some MS text about booting in safe mode).

Some Tech information:
***STOP : 0x000000D1, (ox00000000,0x00000002, 0x000000000, 0x80c04395)
*** nvstor.sys - Address 80c04395 base at 80c00000, datestamp 46671a61

Well I know the nvstor.sys is an Nvidia file, but my problem is way before I can even get to working on that part of the problem.

Basically by booting to the disk, I was hoping that I could at least get into Windows safe mode. However, I'm hung at this error before I even get there.

I'm not sure what my next step is. I have no idea how I can get into my PC to begin the driver resolution troubleshooting, there seems to be no opportunity to press F8 to select the safe mode option.

Thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:13 06 Feb 09

Boot to safe mode and uninstall the graphics driver. reboot and reinstall / update the graphics driver.

vernacott 23:17 06 Feb 09

Hi, thanks for the fast reply.

This is what I have been trying to do but I can't get to safe mode between booting and the freeze/blue screen.

brundle 23:27 06 Feb 09

It's not a graphics driver file, it's an NVidia chipset driver file - relating to your SATA interface(s). Hit F8 before you see the XP logo. Get the latest drivers for your chipset here click here

( If you're not sure what you need, download and run this click here )

brundle 23:28 06 Feb 09

Or the software IDE driver that was included in older versions of the NVidia chipset drivers.

brundle 23:38 06 Feb 09

Hit F8 before you see the Vista logo, I mean...

brundle 23:40 06 Feb 09

Or run a system repair from your Vista DVD; click here

vernacott 16:45 09 Feb 09

Hi, thanks for all the replies.

Well I finally managed to get to the safe mode menu. 1 out of 10 boots I managed to get to the menu by hammering F8 throughout the sequence.

I selected safe mode, the loading files started scrolling away and then it stuck on:

Windows/System32/Drivers/disk.sys

Waited it out and then it went back to the same blue screen...

I was relying on getting to safe mode to repair this problem but what should I do now?

brundle 17:30 09 Feb 09

I wonder if it's failing to load the very drivers that are problematic in order to use the SATA drive itself more efficiently (since it is actually being used to load Windows to that stage). Google finds lots of people with a similar problem and no consistent answer, except perhaps a Vista DVD slipstreamed with SP1 and even that is not always the answer.

Did you try a repair with the Vista DVD? Just to get the machine going long enough to remove the problematic driver.

vernacott 12:28 10 Feb 09

I just tried to boot directly from the Vista disk but again I got the same blue screen (nvstor.sys).

Also, when I switched on today i got this message:

*****Warning: System Boot fail*****

Your system last boot fail or post interupted. Please enter setup to load default and reboot again.

I did as it asked because I could not continue to attempt to enter safe mode or anything. I am not sure if this changes my situation at all?

brundle 13:23 10 Feb 09

Did following the instructions make any difference? It's looking bleak now...can't boot in safe mode, can't boot from the DVD - I would be looking at accessing your data with a Linux live CD for backup and then installing Vista again.

Knoppix is a big download but has all the tools you'll need to recover your data. I can't link to an English only page at the knoppix site because of the way the site works, but just click the Union Jack; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now