IRQ Changes - How do I do it?

Jakonapster 00:37 22 Jan 03
  Jakonapster 00:37 22 Jan 03

I'm told I should move the Promise IDE Controller away from IRQ 10 as this IRQ is shared by my DV500 video capture card. Reason: it may be causing me Playback problems.

The Promise IDE Controller is an onboard one on my ASUS m/board.

I'm uncomfortable about messing about with IRQs.

What is the best way to do this? Can someone post a simple (?) procedure for me?

I'd be happy enough if someone could do this?
But I'd be overjoyed if somebody could also recommend actual IRQ changes to my IRQ setup below:

0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 Creative SB Live! Value
3 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
4 Communications Port (COM1)
5 SUP2850 PCI Modem Enumerator
5 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
10 Pinnacle Systems DV500-1394
10 Pinnacle Systems DV500 E4
10 Pinnacle Systems DV500 Overlay
10 Win9x-ME Promise Ultra100 (tm) IDE Controller (PDC20265)
10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
11 3D Prophet II MX Dual-Display Video
11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

jazzypop 01:16 22 Jan 03

click here for a decent introduction to IRQs.

If (once you have read and understood the site above) you decide to change the IRQ for your Promise controller, highlight it as per the above link, and click the drop-down box labelled 'settings based on'. It is pretty much trial and error, as many cards either will not let you re-assign an IRQ, or will only allow you to re-assign it to another IRQ that is already in use.

As for which IRQ to change it to - you are pretty much full up! As the link above says, if you know that you are not using a resource (for example, a secondary IDE channel), then you can make that available by disabling it in the BIOS.

You may have to try to move the DV500 card, if you cannot sensibly move the Promise card.

Gongoozler 10:02 22 Jan 03

Jakonapster, at a quick glance through your IRQ list, if you are not using ccccom port 1, then you could disable that and so free up an irq. You don't say what operating system you have, but in Windows 98se I would disable it in Device Manager. Right click the port, then on the "General" tab, check the box for "Disable in this hardware profile". If it doesn't help it is easy to enable it again.

Gongoozler 10:04 22 Jan 03

Sorry about the stuttering on ccccom. I held the "c" key down too long while I was thinking.

Jakonapster 18:14 22 Jan 03

Thanks,

I'm thinking maybe the devices on IRQ 4 (COM1) or IRQ 7 (ECP LPT1) could be sacrificed if it would solve my greater problem. I assume the fact that I have a USB attached printer means IRQ 7 could be used for something else.

So would there be any problems if I forced the Promise IDE Controller (currenty IRQ 10) on to IRQ 7?

jazzypop 19:12 22 Jan 03

"It is pretty much trial and error, as many cards either will not let you re-assign an IRQ, or will only allow you to re-assign it to another IRQ that is already in use."

You really will have to try it and see :)

The changes are not made until you press OK - nothing disastrous will happen.

Gongoozler 20:17 22 Jan 03

Jakonapster, any unused ports can safely be disabled. Com and lpt ports are really a relic from the past now that most peripherals are on usb, and as I said above, if one day you find you need any of them they can easily be re-enabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…