irprops.cpl error after reinstalling Windows XP

Unlucky Bob 02:07 24 Dec 03

I had a problem with my CD-rom & DVD drivers becoming corrupted and not working, so I thought the best way to solve it would be to reinstall Windows XP (as a repair) and therefore reinstall the drivers.
This has solved the initial driver problem but now I get the message 'error loading irprops.cpl - specified module could not be found. This appears to be coming from the rundll folder. Would anyone have any suggestions about what I should do. A friend thought I should just delete the file but will this really kill my computer.
At the moment the internet connection is not working at all, so help is desperately needed.
About the only thing that is working well now is the CD & DVD players!!!
My system is relatively new. A Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz with Windows XP. I don't know what the mother board is so don't ask...

the file irprops should be located in C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab so if there is a problem with it then your best bet is to run SFC and follow the instructions to fix any problems found. (start/run/SFC) you may be able to manually copy the file from your XP CD if SFC doesnt help, (try dumping a copy in your system32 folder )

Unlucky Bob 03:35 24 Dec 03

Okay, I can do that, but what is sfc??

I'm sorry, but I'm really computer ignorant.

Jester2K 06:39 24 Dec 03

SFC = System File Checker.

Insert XP CD and cancel anything that runs. Then Start Mneu, Run.., type "SFC /Scannow" (no quotes) and hit enter. It'll check all your system files.

If it asks for a SP2 or Whilster CD just keep hitting "Retry" until complete...

Unlucky Bob 06:29 25 Dec 03

Thanks for the assistance. I will try it at some point over christmas.

Unfortunatly I shall be working, but Merry Christmas to all that don't have to work.
I'm just unlucky I guess!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…