irc.thecOre.net keeps wanting the internet

PirÅTë 16:51 29 Jul 03

hi all, my nephew has been on my computer whilst i was at work, and installed the dreaded kazaa (ok, the lite version) but still the dreaded kazaa.

he downloaded what he thought was "terminator 3" game!! (i know im furious!!!!) and when downloaded he double clicked on the exe file( even madder!!!)
he said this then disapperead.(needless to say nothing happened)

when i was told immeadiatly unistalled kazaa ran avg, adaware, trojan remover. (nothing found)
and proceeded to check my system.

my firewall then asked if i wanted svc.exe to access the internet and i said NO.
then if i wanted svc.exe to act as a server
i said NO

i then checked things over inculding the run command.

when i type regedit, or msconfig or anything similar the window appears and promptly closes!!

then when i stop my bb connection i get the irc.thecOre.net wants to access the net message

these are the only things i have noticed so far

any suggesstions
oh i use win xp pro

I. T. Mastermind 16:59 29 Jul 03

I have seen a similar problem many times. My solution is to re-install Windows. Because this is probably a virus which has not yet been recognised by the Anti-virus makers. So they couldn't have released an update to destroy the virus yet. Remember once Kazaa has been on your system, Windows needs reinstalling. I personally think that Kazaa is a sure fire ways of messing up Windows. I would never let it in 100 miles of my computer, no way!

PirÅTë 17:05 29 Jul 03

surley there is another way without reinstalling windows?????

lets see if anyone else can help eh!

PirÅTë 19:16 29 Jul 03

because i cant open msconfig i have downloaded reg cleaner and in it is a list of all progs that start up. i have found the offender 'winstock 2 driver' svc.exe

but i cant delete it

is there a way of going to registry without regedit

as i cant open regedit

PirÅTë 19:19 29 Jul 03

sorry its winsock

-pops- 19:25 29 Jul 03

Anyone using my computer without my explicit permission would have a very limited life expectancy.

Windows XP has all sorts of security devices installed to prevent unauthorised use. I know it is too late this time but you might think about putting locks and passwords into action on your machine when you are up and running again.

PirÅTë 19:28 29 Jul 03

-pops- already done! ha ha i learnt my lesson now

but i stil need to sort this problem out

-pops- 19:39 29 Jul 03

Are you able to start in Safe Mode and delete this little devil from there?

To be honest, though, I think you best bet would be to re-install either from a full backup or a clean install from the XP disk. With these kazaas and such like, you never know what they've hidden in the depths ready to spring out at you in an unguarded moment.

Brian

PirÅTë 19:56 29 Jul 03

please help i cant even open task manager

please please someone

VoG II 22:30 29 Jul 03

Go into BIOS and set CD as first boot device.

Boot from the CD.

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

With due acknowledgement to AndySD.

PirÅTë 00:45 30 Jul 03

well i did a full reformat and reinstall

needless to say i have now password protected my computer and NO ONE is ever getting on again

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…