irc. What do the operators know about me

Ghloria 10:52 26 Nov 03

I have been using irc, I was supprised when an operator knew that I live in then UK and what my name is that I have filled in in setup. I take it they also know my email address. Can they trace me. I thought irc was annonemous !
How much more do they know, I ask here rather than there because I don't know if I can trust their answer.
Are there any other issues with irc.

Thank you

Glow

smegs 11:00 26 Nov 03

Just had a look on the Google site, I take it IRC is some kind of Chat Thing. Please tell me if I'm wrong. But with all thats going on in the world can U blame companies, that requirer Ur information. But why should they contact U? Thats what I should be thinking about.

Ghloria 11:21 26 Nov 03

It is chat yes. But the operators (irc police) in the "room" take part in the discussion if they wish and in this instance someone was asking where people lived and the op' said that I was in Britain, it was not out of order but supprised me that they knew, although on reflection I do know that one "Network" has banned Freeserve because of it's customers abuse and that they had supplied the customer details to Freeserve for them to take action against the user.

Sir Radfordin 12:23 26 Nov 03

You can have a fairly good guess at working out where someone is from the IP address they access a website via. As that information will be being tracked that is one way they could have done it.

But as with all things, if your not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about! Just be careful where you do put your 'personal' details online.

Most people can find out where you are from, mainly from when you fill in the setup program and also when you connect, it is easy enough to trace people to come back with an IP address that you can trace to a host.

So long as you are careful, you will be safe... Just make sure that you dont go accepting file's unless you know what they are, and also that you have regular Anti Virus and Firewall update's.

Ghloria 12:57 26 Nov 03

Thank you, but I must put my hands up to the fact that I don't know what IP really is.

Glow

Terrahawk 13:04 26 Nov 03

when you go online your isp gives you a unique number example 213.168.20.1 this is required so other computers know where to send information when online, its a bit like your postal adress at home you request information people or in this case computers need to know where to send it hence an ip adress

Ghloria 13:18 26 Nov 03

Thanks Terahawk, does this number chage every time you go online ?

Glow

Ghloria 13:19 26 Nov 03

What's a host?

Glow

Terrahawk 13:28 26 Nov 03

generaly they do change each time you go online though some people do have static ip adresses that do not change. A home user would almost certainly have a dynamic ip adress (one that changes)unless they have requested otherwise and usually at extra cost

cycoze 13:31 26 Nov 03

Most IRC programs and servers will allow a Whois on users this will generally supply your DNS which can be translated into your ISP , this is quite normal.

There is a difference between an IRCop and an op/moderator on IRC , an IRCop is normally an Aministrator and can do pretty much anything a GOD type status , an op or moderator usually just has power within a room , which can be set at different levels of power.

Different servers will have different rules and commands , although most chat clients will have a similar layout.

When connecting via a Java based room you are limited on what info you can gain on anybody else , however using a chat client like MIRC , you yourself can find out plenty of information on others , doesent need saying , but here goes , when using a chat client , do not put your real details into the software as it can be seen by anyone who knows how.

Let me know if you want any more information.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…