IPS TAG error when i try to transfer domain

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 18:19 23 Nov 04

hi all,i have just registered my .co.uk domain and now i want to transfer it to heartinterent click here using there free webhoasting when i type my domain (with or without www/http) it says IPSTAG is wrong and that it needs to be changed to HEARTINTERNET and it already exists as "SCHLUND",i am on 1and1 instant domain i have had it over 48hours,could somebody explain what this IPSTAG is and how to change it?.thanks very much.ben

Forum Editor 19:00 23 Nov 04

and the tag is what tells the domain name servers where your domain name is located.

The DNS are located at different points around the world, and they maintain vast databases which record the location of every registered domain name. When you type the address of a web site into your browser it's the Domain name servers that point it to the server where your name is hosted. Each web hosting company has primary and secondary name servers, and these hold databases of all domain names hosted by the company. Each company has its own 'tag' and this is normally the name of the company itself.

Only the registrant (in this case you) of a .co.uk name may request a retag, and what you must do is request the company with whom you registered the name to retag it to HEARTINTERNET. In most cases the receiving company will contact the sending company and request the retag for you, all you have to do is tell the sending company to make the retag.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:25 23 Nov 04

contacted 1and1 to ask them of a "retag",so ill just have to wait for a reply,thanks very much mate.ben

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 18:06 25 Nov 04

hi 1and1 have e-mailed me back with the subject "transfer",they said in the mail "To transfer a domain (s) you have to wait for 30 days from the day you were registered with us".so it will be after christmas before using my domain?.also + are sub domains click here or click here thanks very much.young ben

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:33 26 Nov 04

they are separated by a dot from your main site. So they would appear as yourdomainname.yoursubdomname

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:23 27 Nov 04

other way round - subname.mainname

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 08:39 27 Nov 04

hi would you know how to make these sub-domains?.i did have another thread going to ask and how many can i have?.thanks very much.ben

barryoneoff.co.uk 11:17 27 Nov 04

to my control panel recently, but I think you are allowed about 50 subs.

Just go to the 'domain administration' on your control panel and click 'new'. Then click 'sub domain' on the drop down list and fill in the details.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 11:24 27 Nov 04

hi,it says new:add on domain,thats all no subdomain,i am only on £1.99 and it is not with any webspace yet,perhaps i have to wait untill it has been associated with webspace?.cheers all.ben

barryoneoff.co.uk 12:59 27 Nov 04

your domain registration. You have to sign up for a hosting package before you can use the domain. Then you will be able to add sub domains.

barryoneoff.co.uk 13:01 27 Nov 04

your original post again. If you are transferring the domain to Heartinternet then you will have to see if they supply sub domains, not 1&1.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…