iPodService keeps enabling itself in WTM

CurlyWhirly 15:05 04 Nov 05

I regularly use iTunes and because I *don't* have an iPod I disable the iPod Service in Administrative tools > Services.

This is because I have enough services and background processes starting up automatically on boot-up and I am trying to keep the number down.

When I reboot the next time, the iPodservice.exe service is *automatically* changed to manual and is actually running as in the Processes section of Windows Task Manager I can actually see it listed there!

It's not a big deal as it only takes a second or two to disable but the reason why I am posting this is because it is the *first* time I have ever seen this happen as normally when I set a service to disabled it stays disabled and it doesn't enable itself automatically!

Does anyone know *why* this happens or how to permanently disable the service?

Thanks.

Chegs ® 17:20 04 Nov 05

WinXP Pro Registry key for this file is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Userdata\S-1-5-18\Components\E141724DB89E22. The usual path is C:\Program files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe. There is also a reference to the file in the registry for programs that run at startup/ Login. The registry entry is located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. I feel that any program with a path that includes both "install" and " User Data" ;runs in the backgound and requires registry editing to disable is suspicious.

CurlyWhirly 17:43 04 Nov 05

[Quote]I feel that any program with a path that includes both "install" and " User Data" ;runs in the backgound and requires registry editing to disable is suspicious.

I don't know about it being suspicious but it sure is annoying!

In your above post, are you suggesting that I navigate to the registry key and just delete it?

Thanks ;0)

Chegs ® 17:50 04 Nov 05

I dunno,that was copied from a google for "disable iPodservice.exe service " and most were insisting the progs return wasn't a problem.Several were insisting it was a resource hog,and a few were asking howto disable it so it didn't return.That post above indicates a dip into the registry,as this can be detrimental to your OS if you get it wrong,rather than delete the keys,try disabling them 1st instead.

CurlyWhirly 17:55 04 Nov 05

[Quote]rather than delete the keys,try disabling them 1st instead.

I don't know how to disable registry keys but I will go and check now.

I usually delete irrelevant keys from software that I have since uninstalled from my PC.

If I did screw my PC up through incorrect registry use I *do* make regular backups but obviously this is something I will try and avoid!

Thanks.

CurlyWhirly 18:01 04 Nov 05

I have decided to live with the minor inconvenience as I can see *no* way to disable the registry key(s).

CurlyWhirly 23:10 14 Feb 06

I'm sorry to bump this but I have recently found out that by deleting the filename extension off the iPodService.exe file, then it no longer loads automatically when you start iTunes.

In other words drop the .exe bit!

Chegs ®™ 00:09 15 Feb 06

To disable the regkey its swap its (0) to (1) or vice-versa.If you've killed it off another way,jolly good. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…