Ipods and Windows ME ?

terryp96 14:12 27 Jul 05

My friend and I were both thinking about buying an Ipod, he recently had a birthday and had one bought for him. When he came to download the disc 'ITunes' it said his computer needed upgrading to Windows 2000 or XP. I rang Apple and was told the same, what do we do now?, what's involved in installing Xp and how much is it likely to cost. Is there an alternative way he can get his Ipod to work, he will only be copying his CD's not doing any downloading music.
Help!

recap 14:21 27 Jul 05

The cheapest Windows XP home edition on Froogle is £149.99 at Dabs.

I would recommend that you unistall ME and do a clean install of XP. Backing up necessary data first from your ME installation.

recap 14:21 27 Jul 05

Sorry meant to include this link click here

terryp96 21:10 27 Jul 05

Thanks recap, ouch the cost of the upgrade costs more than the Ipod, don't think I will bother.
My friend is going to be unhappy when I tell him.

Kinky Afro 21:18 27 Jul 05

You can upgrade Windows ME to XP Home or Professional. This is a lot cheaper than a clean install and a lot easier and straight forward than a lot of people would make you believe (also you don't lose everything on your hdd). I have upgraded over a dozen machines from ME to XP Home with not one problem.

I know that Ebuyer sell it for £77 (quickfind code 65799) but you might find it cheaper elsewhere.

Kinky Afro 21:20 27 Jul 05

Sorry, I forgot to ask whether the pc had recommended spec for XP Home? The recommended spec is:

300MHz processor or higher
128MB RAM

Kate B 22:51 27 Jul 05

Much cheaper than upgrading your OS - instead of using iTunes, use something like Xplay or Ephpod to manage the iPod. You'll have to pay something like £20 for the software (Google them) but they're very good options.

Kinky Afro 14:05 28 Jul 05

Good call Kate B, but to me both these have drawbacks. Xplay is just drag and drop which will allow tracks to be moved onto an iPod. This doesn't (or at least the last version I saw didn't) playlists, podcasting or anything else that makes iTunes such a good piece of software. Ephpod does supports playlists however you require a firewire 1394 connection which an older pc might not have.

I know that it might be cheaper therefore to buy a firewire card and Ephpod, but for the extra few quick you are getting a vastly superior OS and arguably the best music management software currently available.

terryp96 21:06 28 Jul 05

Thanks to Kinky Afro and Kate B for their comments.
I don't know what my friend's computer is but it is well above the minimum that Kinky Afro mentions.
I think the best he can do is price up an XP download from somewhere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…