Ipod Touch and emails

exdragon 20:21 20 Mar 09

Hi - I've just bought one of these and am a bit confused: I set it up for emailing and it receives perfectly. What it won't do is send emails. Am I missing something obvious?

Also, does anyone know if you can delete an entire group of Contacts? I can only find how to delete individual Contacts and as I made the mistake of synching everything with the PC, I now have multiple entries of most people! I can't find anything in the User Guide.

Thanks

Fermat's Theorem 21:19 20 Mar 09

emails via my Ipod Touch with no bother. I am assuming your settings are ok if you're able to receive them. You ask if you are missing something obvious, so pardon me for asking a very obvious question!

Did you notice the icon in the bottom right hand corner when you open your Mail app? It looks to me like a pencil on a sheet of paper - it is the "write" icon. If you tap it it will bring up the "New Message" dialogue box and the onscreen keyboard.

By the way, isn't the Ipod touch a fabulous gadget?

Hope this helps :-)

exdragon 21:39 20 Mar 09

I don't mind obvious questions at all!!

I received the usual notification of your reply, but when I try to send an email, I get the message 'Cannot send mail. The connection to the outgoing server 'smtp.o2.co.uk' failed.

It didn't fail when it was receiving, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to change!

I'm also having a problem transferring music, but I'm sure it will be fabulous when I've got it sussed!

exdragon 21:44 20 Mar 09

Correction - should have RTFM - music on its way!

MAJ 21:53 20 Mar 09

"It didn't fail when it was receiving, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to change!"

That's because it doesn't use the SMTP server to receive email it uses the POP server "mail.o2.co.uk".

Either O2's SMTP server is down at the moment or you have entered it incorrectly. Make sure you haven't used, smtp.0(zero)2.co.uk instead of smtp.o (the letter O)2.co.uk.

Fermat's Theorem 22:23 20 Mar 09

is probably on the right track! I just checked my settings: Incoming Mail Server pop.indigo.ie; Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.indigo.ie. If you are receiving mail then it can be assumed that your user name and password are both recognised.

Keep us posted :-)

exdragon 22:35 20 Mar 09

Hmm...this is odd. I've now sent 2 to myself from the ipod and they are in the Sent box (I found a setting which had a list of other servers which were 'off', so I turned them on).

Heaven knows where they have gone, because they haven't arrived in my Outlook, which now says it can't send/receive from my main email address as 'the mailbox is temporarily unavailable as another message is being delivered. Server locked by another server'

A third one I sent to someone else has arrived, but the ipod now tells me 'Cannot get mail. The user name or password for (myname) is incorrect'.

exdragon 22:51 20 Mar 09

A bit more fiddling around and I have suddenly got half a dozen messages in Outlook -and with success, I'll bid you goodnight!

I'll leave this open for my questions which will no doubt arise tomorrow.

Still nobody who knows how to delete a complete Group of Contacts, please?

Fermat's Theorem 23:04 20 Mar 09

the third one arrived indicates that your system is working.

Regarding the conflict between your Ipod touch and Outlook on your PC, all I can suggest is that you go the Advanced settings on your Ipod Touch and ensure that "Delete from Server" equals "Never". That way your messages will be only mirrored to your Ipod Touch, and can be downloaded from your PC version of Outlook.

After this, I am out of my depth. All I did when I got the Ipod Touch was to copy my account settings from Outlook into the Touch, checked the Advanced settings as above - and that was that.

Hopefully someone else will pick this thread up if you need more help :-)

Fermat's Theorem 23:07 20 Mar 09

your last post until I had sent mine :-)

exdragon 23:08 20 Mar 09

I'm now knee deep in test emails, including one which I appear to have sent myself from the Notes application...

'Night!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017