iPlayer Listen Again running on Firefox - Causing network outage?

BillWilliams 19:06 07 Aug 14

Hello,

I have no problem running Firefox all day. However, in the evening when I access BBC iPlayer to listen to an archived programme, after a while the "no internet access" symbol is displayed.

Running the network troubleshooter sometimes clears the problem but often it doesn't. When I close Firefox, the symbol disappears.

Going back into Firefox and iPlayer results in a further "no internet access" symbol some minutes after.

Accessing iPlayer Listen Again on Opera causes no problem. However, Opera will not allow me to listen "live" to BBC radio stations! Wheras Firefox is happy to let me listen live with no interruptions.

On older versions of Firefox, this was not a problem. Also on older versions of Firefox I could watch youtube viseos. No more.

Is there a way round these problems?

Mintyrebel 19:10 07 Aug 14

Hey Bill, I've never encountered your issue however I would suggest trying another browser such as Google Chrome and seeing if the issue replicates in that browser. If it does then it may be an issue with your internet connection during certain times. Additionally can you run any other programs that require an internet connection when the "no Internet access" symbol is being displayed?

Hey Bill, I've never encountered your issue however I would suggest trying another browser such as Google Chrome and seeing if the issue replicates in that browser. If it does then it may be an issue with your internet connection during certain times. Additionally can you run any other programs that require an internet connection when the "no Internet access" symbol is being displayed?

BillWilliams 06:45 08 Aug 14

No, when the "no internet access" symbol occurs, everything is locked out. As soon as I shut down Firefox, the "no internet access" symbol disappears.

As I said, Opera has no problem with "listen again", so I think it must be a problem with Firefox.

rdave13 19:17 08 Aug 14

Seeing there are no pertinent answers I can only concur a similar problem with Firefox. It entails.. err.. a game site called Animal Jam. Sometimes the servers do genuinely fail or are overloaded and the game stops. On wifi, connection fails and that's it. On LAN it's still available?

It's a Firefox failing I think, so agree. Until Firefox updates again I'm using Pale Moon, from Major Geeks and author's site.

It's a retro Firefox browser and works faster and better than Ff at the moment.

Not a solution but a work around for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now