IP Router Changes laptop address

trickie57 17:52 26 Oct 06

I have a belkin adsl router set to the 192. and so on but when I log in with my laptop then network settings returns 169.259. which is different and I get the message connected with limited connection.

If I force it via manual connection it is ok but I dont know how the dns numbers go.

any help would be appreiceated

mgmcc 12:14 27 Oct 06

If you have a "169.254" address, it is because the adapter has been unable to access the router's DHCP server to get its correct address which, with a Belkin router, will be in the 192.168.2.x range.

If you are allocating fixed addresses, use an IP address of 192.168.2 with its final "octet" any number between 2 and 254 that isn't already in use in your network.

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.2.1 (the ROUTER's IP address)

DNS Server address - 192.168.2.1 (the ROUTER's IP address)

Alternatively, you can use your ISP's DNS Server addresses. If these are not available in their Support pages of their website, the configuration pages of your router should show the DNS addresses that the ISP has allocated automatically. Use these same addresses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…