IP Camera Help

3rror404 11:39 28 May 08

Hi there, sorry if this isn't the right forum for this post.

I was wondering if someone could suggest some equipment for a project i've been set.

My boss has a boat, a replica ship that does harbour tours. He wants to set up 1 or 2 cameras on the ship that can stream footage to our website.

I was thinking of using a 3G mobile broadband dongle connected to a laptop as there is obviously no internet connection in the harbour. The ship has mains voltage when the engine is running.

Is this possible? If so, what exactly would i need to set this up?

Thanks for any help you can give.

3rror404 14:19 28 May 08

bump

Ditch999 15:35 28 May 08

Should work OK as long as you have a good signal on the phone and a good Broadband service. It will be very expensive though!

Ditch999 15:41 28 May 08

An ordinary 3G phone with a built in modem will do the same job as a dongle. Just be harder to configure, but not impossible! You will also need software to enable live streaming. I know WMP9 encoder can do it click here but you need it running on your website server.

3rror404 09:53 29 May 08

Thanks for your reply Ditch.

Am I right in thinking that alot of IP cameras come bundled with the software needed for streaming?
Also could anyone suggest a few cameras that would be suitable for outdoor use? on a ship, in the wet!

Ditch999 10:39 29 May 08

IP cameras connect to a router, either wired or wireless, which connects to a phone line which has broadband. If its wireless then range is going to be restricted to about 100m (unless you rig up an amplifier and extender) and as its a boat I dont think wired is an option.
Maplin have cameras click here and it will tell you what they can do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…