IP Addresses within a Network

mitchamm 11:20 21 Mar 05

I have been asked to configure a small Insurance Office Network for a friend and am having trouble getting the IP Addresses to allocate themselves correctly.

There are 6 machines in the office, all running Windows 98. One of the machines has a Broadband Internet connection that 4 of the other machines need to share. The 5th machine has some Insurance software on it that will only allow access to it from the following IP Adresses. 192.168.0.1-6.

The problem I am getting is that when I get all the machines to Obtain IP Address Automatically, five of the machines allocate 192.168.0.1-5, but the 6th machine allocates 192.168.0.7, which means that it cannot talk to the insurance software. How do I get it to allocate 192.168.0.6?

If I try to ping 192.168.0.6, the request times out. As the OS is Win98 there is no DHCP Service running. Please can anyone help?

Forum Editor 18:06 22 Mar 05

in the wrong forum area, mitchamm. I'll move it to the Network forum.

selfbuild 18:50 22 Mar 05

From where are the ip addreses being allocated? There must be a source that is allocating the ip addresses.....

FelixTCat 21:23 22 Mar 05

If you have to have IP addresses for particular pcs in a particular range, then you are better off fixing those addresses.

In this case, the ones you need to fix are the one with the special software on it and the one that doesn't need to access that software.

I presume that you are using Internet Connection Sharing based on the pc with the internet connection. That pc is therefore acting as the DHCP server.

The pc connected to the internet (and sharing that connection) will automatically be 192.168.0.1. I would suggest that you fix the software machine on 192.168.0.6 and the other one on 192.168.0.7. The others will then assume the range 192.168.0.2 - 5

selfbuild 22:05 22 Mar 05

Would you not be better off fixing the ip address of the insurance software pc to 192.168.0.7 if it only allows an incoming ip range of 192.168.0.1-6..... after all it doesn't need access from its self.....

FelixTCat 23:02 22 Mar 05

selfbuild

I make no assumptions. If someone writes software to allow connection from only those IP addresses, who knows what it allows . . .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…