IP addresses query

Happy37 20:45 02 Jan 09

Hello everyone - Happy New Year...hope it's a good one for all.

I have a query regarding IP addresses...I have got a Netgear router which provides IP addresses for Internet use dynamically via DHCP.

However, I have also noticed that my PC has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 - it's only a 1 day/24 hour lease?

Why is this only a 1 day lease, and can it be extended? What difference will there be between a 1 day lease as opposed to other periods such as leases of 1 week? What are the pros and cons of this situation?

Thanks.

mocha 22:04 02 Jan 09

Hi Happy37,

The address 192.168.0.1 sounds like the router's internal address this will stay constant and never change, to check if it's the routers address type in your ie address bar the above number and you should find you have your routers setting page.

Your computer will have a similar internal address, possibly 192.168.0.2 if you had say another computer on the same network that would be 192.168.0.3 these can/will change as computer's are turned off and only having a one day lease if that lease is continual providing the router is not turned off your computers would keep that address indefinately.

Your external IP address is given to you via your Internet service provider, if you want to know yours click here

ened 07:37 03 Jan 09

I have a netgear router and mocha is absolutely correct.

If you access the router you can find all the information you need including the ip address from the isp.

You don't say which model you have but mine is very user friendly and there is a blue screen on the right which offers help for every item on the left.

ambra4 08:00 03 Jan 09

“I have a query regarding IP addresses”

Right Click on the icon in the task bar-Status-Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address from the router

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the router IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

“It's only a 1 day/24 hour lease?”

Which is correct your router will update automatic the lease time as requited

Happy37 09:18 03 Jan 09

Thanks everyone - that's solved my query...thanks for replying and letting me know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017