IP addresses for a Netgear Wireless Network

pcmuppet 07:47 09 Jul 05

For no apparent reason my Wireless Network is having problems assigning IP addresses.

The set up is a desktop & laptop connecting to a Netgear router.

Both are DHCP enabled and the IP addresses were:

Desktop 192.168.0.2
Laptop 192.168.0.3
Default 192.168.0.1

The Netgear network can be gound by Windows XP Pro, however it cannot connect from the desktop, the laptop connects without any issues.

I have used the repair wizard which just hangs at trying to connect and have also tried ipconfig /release & renew which generate the error:

the operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

I have also tried a system restore to an earlier state and this helped for about 2 minutes and I was able to briefly connect, however it then failed again.

Any help much appreciated as I have run out of ideas!

johnnyrocker 09:13 09 Jul 05

have a look in device manager and see if any errors show, you may need to uninstall and re install adapter

johnny.

mgmcc 09:15 09 Jul 05

Try giving the Desktop PC a fixed IP address outside the router's DHCP "pool".

For example, if the router is set to allocate addresses in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.20 give the Desktop the fixed addresses:

IP 192.168.0.25

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 (Router's IP address)

DNS 192.168.0.1 (Router's IP address)

retep888 10:35 09 Jul 05

Try using a straight thru' ethernet cable connecting the desktop to the router if it's applicable.

pcmuppet 19:11 09 Jul 05

All, thanks for the help today much appreciated, I had checked the device manager and was about to connect with an ethernet cable when the response from mgmcc gave me an idea.

On the laptop & the desktop the DNS addresses for primary and secondary where as per my broadband supplier, I changed the order for the desktop and this has worked!! So far I have left the IP address as per previous set up but will consider this later if needed.

Once again thanks for your responses. Hope I can return the favour one day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017