IP addresses and me being paranoid!

Fateful Shadow 11:57 09 Jul 05

I've heard about 2 differenet types of IP address...static and dynamic. Could anyone tell me they mean and also which onme applies to normal browsing. Also, how much info. can be gained from knowing an IP address?

I ask this because I saw a posting in another forum and their signature had some sort of program that told you your IP address, ISP, OS and IE version. I know, it sounds silly, but I've always wanted to find out more about it anyway!

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:16 09 Jul 05

Your IP address is available to all and sundry. The IP addy means that pages you 'go to' on the net are delivered to your computer. You do not visit sites, they 'visit' you so you need an IP address so they know where to go. For home users their IP address is different each time they connect (dynamic). Many businesses or if you are running a server have static IP addresses, i.e the address is always the same so that outside users can connect each time.

Get an up to date AV and MS Antispy and you will have no chance of being 'hacked' on a home computer...even if you did not have these and went on the net commando, you would still have no chance of being hacked...viruses and trojan maybe.

G

Forum Editor 12:17 09 Jul 05

one that doesn't change.

A dynamic IP address is one that is automatically allocated to you by your ISP each time you connect, and it's valid for that session alone - next time you connect you'll be allocated a different address - dynamically.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about these addresses, and to grasp the concept fully you need to realise that there is a finite number of available addresses in the world. Each IP address identifies a single computer uniquely, and ISPs are only allocated addresses in batches - once they've used them all up that's it - they can't connect any more users. The problem can be made worse by the increase in the number of people who want fixed IP addresses - operators of web servers for example - and those rarther selfish people who insist on leaving their broadband connections running on a 24/7 basis - they're tying up an IP address unnecessarily.

Twenty years ago all the available IP address numbers were allocated amnst the world's nations. Things were a little different then and some countries got far more than others - America owns around 70% of all the avaliable address numbers. In Europe we're reasonably OK for the foreseeable future, but some Asian countries are in dire trouble. China, for instance was allocated 22 million addresses, which sounds a lot, but it doesn't go far in a rapidly developing country of 1.3 billion people. China will have around 63 million people with internet connections within the next two years, and will run out of available addresses shortly after that. Both Korea and Japan are also in big trouble.

The problem isn't going to go away, and many people are talking about Asia having it's own, second level Internet in an attempt to find an answer.

grumpy old git 15:40 09 Jul 05

Don't worry about it unless you intend streaming media (video/audio content) to a your web site!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…