IP Addresses

wossie 15:47 21 Jun 08

Does your IP address change every time you access the internet, I have a few different computers and I share a house with with 3 tennants of mine, does each computer have a different IP. I also build and repair computers as a hobby. So a lot of computer activity here, I have a broadband connection. Is the IP address if the router the same, is that separate to my IP address. Can hackers get your IP address and hack your computer if it remains the same. I notice that some sites can offer you services in your area, how do they detect this. I am asking a lot here so any info would be great. Thanks again.

Taff™ 16:24 21 Jun 08

Google "static IP address" or check with your ISP on what they might charge for one. There are benefits.

The IP address of your router is always the same, I think, because it is "behind£ your main IP address and therefore on effectively an "Intranet" (going to be shot down in flames here!)

Local service companies may be using Google Adwords to offer local services, they can be geographically targeted. Don`t get paranoid about it.

FatboySlim71 17:31 21 Jun 08

wossie

It all depends on your ISP regarding does your IP address change.

Some ISP's use static IP addresses, which means that it stops the same, even if you reboot (switch off and then back on) your modem/router

Some ISP's use dynamic IP addresses, which means that your IP address will change, but for it to change you will need to reboot your modem/router, i.e. switch it off and then back on again.

Best thing is to ask your ISP which method they use, some ISP's give you an option of paying a bit extra for a static IP address.

Daveboy 17:50 21 Jun 08

You are certain to have a dynamic i.p. from your s/p (you have to request a static one-@ your expense).Each machine you connect via your router will be assigned its own (internal) address dynamically (unless you assign static ones-i'm guessing you haven,t).
Run-CMD-Ipconfig on each machine, you should see the default gateway address (your router) is the same on all of them, the i.p. address will differ in the last octet (this is the address assigned to each machine by the router).
Make sure you have all firewalls on (most routers have them) as well as a proprietary one (XP/vista built in).
Try click here to check if you are vulnerable.

wossie 20:22 21 Jun 08

Thanks guys, I put in a search in google for "My IP address" and it was the same on all my computers, it even gave a little map showing my rough location. Ha. Thanks again.

FatboySlim71 22:20 21 Jun 08

Daveboy

Some ISP's (Zen been one of them) provides static IP addresses as standard, I had no option with them for a dynamic IP address. I was with Zen up until a few months back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…