IP address problem

terjac3 16:47 26 Jul 06

Up until a few days ago i was able to unplug my ntl cable from my computer and plug it straight into my laptop and get online without any problem. Now i am getting a message that says "limited or no connectivity cannot retrieve ip address". Can anybody help.

thanks terry

mgmcc 19:54 26 Jul 06

It is unusual to be able to swap the connection straight over from one computer (actually one "network adapter") to another without having to power off the Cable Modem and leave it without power for a couple of minutes.

This is so that it "releases" the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it. When you power the modem on again, it finds a new connection and allocates a new IP address to it; you should then have internet access.

At the moment, your network adapter is not getting the new IP address it needs. By default, Windows will allocate a "169.254" address which will give the Limited or No Connectivity indication and you won't have internet access.

RobCharles1981 20:01 26 Jul 06

Just double click on the connection box at the right hand bottom of the screen where the flashing icons are and somewhere in there you can repair your connection so that windows finds your ip adress again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos