IP address of my pc when connected

Hi

am currently trying to experiment with FTP and web server on my pc so that I can allow a friend to downlowd large files (nothing illegal - photoshop native files are too large for his email system).

What I need to know is how do I locate the IP address of my machine when it is online - I seem to recall that it is easy to find when you know where to look. Am using broadband connection - not too sure if that makes a difference - I know it does when using dial in modems as the IP address is dynamic (is that right? and changed everytime I logged on)

May to to come back for some more advice at a later date when I get the inevitable problems

Thanks in anticipation

Only needed to look at zonealarm alerts but

the form is

xx.xxx.xx.xx then there is a further 3/4/5 didits shown in the list that change - not too sure what the last number represents

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:25 24 Jan 04

Generally, unless you have a fixed IP address, the numbers will be different each time. Go to start-run and type cmd, at the dos box type ipconfig and hit enter. It will show your IP and subnet. ;-)))

G

alB 10:25 24 Jan 04

Depending on your o/s try.. start/run, type winipcfg and click OK

AndyJ 10:27 24 Jan 04

Represents the Port number

Double Helix 10:27 24 Jan 04

hil: try this if you are not using a router:

At command prompt type IPCONFIG /ALL this should give you all of the information you require for this.

If using Win9x type WINIPCFG and it gives you the same except its in a gui box.

Or anything just

click here

with its annoying pop ups

Double Helix 10:28 24 Jan 04

Note to self - REFRESH!!!!

Many thanks - knew it would be simple -

Gemma 10:30 24 Jan 04

Open a command prompt (aka DOS box) and type ipconfig /all. The IP address will be shown. If you are on broadband it is likely that it will be fixed. Your ISP paperwork / site should tell you how your IP address is managed.
If you are using a router, the IP shown is determined by the router. To find the actual IP, use the software (usually IExplorer) to ask the device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple