IP address failure

gNick 17:36 24 Jan 05

Peoples
I am having an interesting problem with my Laptop (Multivivsion Solus 1010).
Basically it won't automatically obtain an IP address when switching on.
What I have to do is set up a spurious IP address and then go back and set the IP address to automatic. I know it isn't an issue with my router because it has happened on several networks that I've tried to connect through.
When I check the network status of the TCP/IP it tells me that I've an invalid IP address and when I try the repair option I get the following message:-

"The following steps of the repair operation failed:
Renewing the IP address
Purging the DNS resolver cache
Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering DNS names
Please contact your network administrator or ISP"

This is just an irritation but I would prefer not to have to go through the same rigmarole every time I switch the laptop on.
Anybody got any ideas?
Nick

Gaz 25 21:45 25 Jan 05

Either try staticlly assigning an IP address or ensure DHCP service is started in: start > run: "services.msc"

gNick 12:10 26 Jan 05

Well there you go - several network support people failed, PC Advisor forum request success.
It turns out the DHCP service was on on manual and stopped. Switched it to automatic and started it and hey presto.
Gaz 25 you are a star

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…