IP Address Conflict

TomG 12:47 10 Sep 06

My wife's pc - win xp home sp2 (see also Wireless usb adapter problem in this forum) has started displaying the following message - "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network" - no other pc is affected.

I have checked all the pcs and the wireless extender and they all have a different address ending (i.e. 1.2, 1.4, 1.30 and 1.3). I've also tried ipconfig /renew but that couldn't find the wireless adapter (ipconfig on its own finds the adapter no problem).

She has also lost the ability to print to a printer attached to another PC - I've been through the printer setup wizard, it gets as far as identifying the pc to which the printer is physically attached and thats it - even if i enter the printers address manually it cannot detect it (all other pcs can print fine).

powerless 13:30 10 Sep 06

Have you pinged all the computers?

websurfowen 13:51 10 Sep 06

I have looked at the above IP ending addresses. To me they are 1.2, 1.4, 1.30 and 1.3

Arent 1.30 and 1.3 exactly the same???

Maybe thats your problem

Eric10 14:24 10 Sep 06

websurfowen. 1.30 and 1.3 would only be the same if the dot was a decimal point. In this case it is a separator in an IP address so one is thirty and the other is three.

TomG. Have you secured your wireless network as it could be a neighbour or other intruder connecting to your router if you haven't?
Are all your PCs set to "Obtain an IP address automatically"?

TomG 14:30 10 Sep 06

Hi all,

Yes the network is secured - I've also downloaded a couple of tools that check the IP address's on the network and all the pcs are mine. All networks near me are also secure so hers cannot be connecting to another network.

Setup is to obtain an address automatically on all PCs

Since posting I've noticed that she only gets the message whn my pc logs on - my ip address ends 1.2 and hers is 1.4 so they are not actually conflicting as windows suggests.

TomG 19:39 10 Sep 06

^

Taff™ 20:03 10 Sep 06

Does your wife have a log on to your computer with the same name as the User Account name she has on her computer? If so that might be the problem.

TomG 20:06 10 Sep 06

No its different

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos