IP Address Conflict

TomG 19:09 09 Sep 06

My wife's pc - win xp home sp2 (see also Wireless usb adapter problem in this forum) has started displaying the following message - "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network" - no other pc is affected.

I have checked all the pcs and the wireless extender and they all have a different address ending (i.e. 1.2, 1.4, 1.30 and 1.3).

She has also lost the ability to print to a printer attached to another PC - I've been through the printer setup wizard, it gets as far as identifying the pc to which the printer is physically attached and thats it - even if i enter the printers address manually it cannot detect it (all other pcs can print fine).

TomG 10:09 10 Sep 06

^

ade.h 18:54 15 Sep 06

Could you post the ipconfig results from each client, plus the gateway IPs of the router and extender? I might be able to spot something or otherwise confirm that it's okay.

What produces the error notice? Is it the adapter software? Does it provide the option to turn off error messages? If it is produced in the form of a balloon notification, you can turn those off for all compatible applications by using TweakUI.

Quote "all other PCs can print fine". I think you may have jinxed it. ;o)

TomG 19:10 15 Sep 06

Jinxed - huh I think we could all write a book on the strange antics of windows!

I'll post the IPCONFIGs in a bit as I'll have to go round and interrupt a few msn conversations. When the problem first started i ran it on all th epcs and they all had different endings to the ip address (i.e. 1.2, 1.3).

The gateway ip on the extender is 192.168.1.1 (which the chap at d-link tech support told me to do) and on the router it's 89.240.176.1 (given to me by my isp talktalk.

ade.h 19:56 15 Sep 06

What you think is the router's IP is actually the IP of your ADSL internet connection. The router's default gateway IP is 192.168.1.1, and that is where the conflict may possibly be.

I can't tell for sure, as when I have used an wireless extender/access point, I kept its default IP. You could try changing it so that it can't clash with the router and see if that improves it, or not as the case may be.

It's probably the cause of that error warning at least.

TomG 20:19 15 Sep 06

Do you think my wifes pc is first connected to the router and then switches to the extender (depending which has the stronger signal)?
Wouldn't this be the same for all the pcs though?

ade.h 20:23 15 Sep 06

The theory says that the wireless clients should just connect to whichever signal is strongest and only switch over if the balance changes by a certain amount. You can often adjust this behaviour in the properties of the wireless adapter's driver (enter Device Manager) or in the software if you use it. This is called stickiness.

TomG 20:34 15 Sep 06

right - results for ip config

Win2k laptop
Ip address 192.168.1.6
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.1.1

Win XP Pro
Ip address 192.168.1.2

Winxp Home
Ip address 192.168.1.4

TomG 20:59 15 Sep 06

hi

I've had a look through the advanced settings for the adapter (in device manager) and can find nothing en-titled stickiness. Please could you advise where i find it?

ade.h 21:27 15 Sep 06

Your IPs look okay. The advanced settings vary a lot and, as I said, only some adapters have them. Intel's looks like this click here

john-a 22:40 15 Sep 06

make sure ALL devices are using auto DHCP and auto DNS.

then restart the router, easiest way is to power it off and on. remember to save your settings before you do this.

also if you can, reboot all the pc's using the router, wired and wireless, whilst you are restarting the router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…